Q. How to get rid of my addiction to masturbation and porn?

Dr. Ruhi Satija
This is a premium question & answer published on May 24, 2019 and last reviewed on: May 28, 2019

I am a 17-year-old male. I have been masturbating for three to four years. I am too much addicted to this habit and porn. I cannot remember how many times I do it a day. It has ruined my life. I was a topper in studies, with good physical and mental fitness three years ago. But now my whole health and study are destroyed because of this habit. I am suffering from fatigue, depression, hypersomnia, mental stress, etc.

I forget things very quickly. I cannot concentrate on anything, and I usually spend my day alone, staring at my mobile. I am very worried and stressed. I want to leave this habit forever and be physically and mentally fit again. My confidence level is very low. Please help me.

Dr. Ruhi Satija

Psychiatry
#

This is not an issue that you can feel comfortable by sharing with someone else. For porn addiction, or any other addiction, please work cyclically. If we want to come out of it, then we need to break the cycle. For example, have a count of how many hours in a day, and at what time do you watch porn? If it is for 4 hours, try adding one thing in your life which you can do for 30 minutes, like exercise or playing with friends.

From tomorrow for the next seven days, do that for 30 minutes. Then next week increase the time off the screen and slowly build other habits which can use your time and keep you distracted. It will take some time, but you will come out of it if you work hard. You can always share your progress or concerns.

|