Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. As an adult with three ADHD children, I realized I have ADHD too. Can you help me?

Answered by
Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2020

Hello. As an adult with 3 children with adhd that take vyvanse. I can see that I too suffer more than I would like to tell. my whole life struggles and not sticking with the same job very long, never finishing anything and not being organized and getting frustrated with myself because if my failures is becoming more obvious and the kids joke about me being like them. Age 14 to 17 ritalin and I passed those grades with a's. I am ashamed and wonder if there is help because I am not young anymore.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry


Welcome to icliniq

- Your experience as a parent of children with ADHD is fairly common. By observing their children , many parents realise retrospectively that they too had similar problems related to ADHD

- It helps to know that you were on stimulant medication Ritalin in your teenage years. So I presume you were diagnosed /suspected to have ADHD but the treatment was not continued into adulthood.

- Since you are reporting being impaired by ADHD symptoms , it will be helpful for you to see your physician and request specialist referral for management of adult ADHD.

Many people in their 40s find their life much more manageable after getting the right diagnosis and getting appropriate treatment. Depending on assessment and evaluation of your physical health, specialist psychiatrist will be able to decide whether ADHD medication will be safe for you. Apart from medication, you can also use cognitive behavioural strategies to manage ADHD symptoms.

Take care

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
What Is ADHD and How Is It Managed?
Is Xanax a correct medicine for ADHD?
Mediterranean Diet and ADHD Prevention
Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I am being emotionally abused. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I am 20 years old. I am an engineering college student. I have an younger brother. My parents have always been distant for as long as I remember and the beating, fighting and emotional abuse started around five years back. Now they started to fight with us too. My father always try to t...  Read Full »

Dealing with Chronic Physical Pain and Niggles

Article Overview: Pain is a debilitating symptom. It is often neglected, and has devastating consequences. The following article deals with common causes of pain, and its management. Read Article

Pain is a protective mechanism. It warns one, of the imminent, dormant, and potential danger. However, chronic physical pain can be disabling, and limits one's functional capacity. Women are more prone to pain than men, as revealed by several study designs and research methodologies. Those aged ove...  Read Article

Does concentration problem with forgetfulness in an 11-year-old kid indicate ADHD?

Query: Hello doctor, My 11-year-old daughter hardly focuses and is easily carried away. She has forgetfulness also. She is smart, but this has been inhibited by talking too much and playing all the time. I have searched online and she happens to be exhibiting all ADHD symptoms.  Read Full »

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.