Q. As an adult with three ADHD children, I realized I have ADHD too. Can you help me?

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 19, 2020

Hello. As an adult with 3 children with adhd that take vyvanse. I can see that I too suffer more than I would like to tell. my whole life struggles and not sticking with the same job very long, never finishing anything and not being organized and getting frustrated with myself because if my failures is becoming more obvious and the kids joke about me being like them. Age 14 to 17 ritalin and I passed those grades with a's. I am ashamed and wonder if there is help because I am not young anymore.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

Child Health Paediatrics Psychiatry
#

Welcome to icliniq

- Your experience as a parent of children with ADHD is fairly common. By observing their children , many parents realise retrospectively that they too had similar problems related to ADHD

- It helps to know that you were on stimulant medication Ritalin in your teenage years. So I presume you were diagnosed /suspected to have ADHD but the treatment was not continued into adulthood.

- Since you are reporting being impaired by ADHD symptoms , it will be helpful for you to see your physician and request specialist referral for management of adult ADHD.

Many people in their 40s find their life much more manageable after getting the right diagnosis and getting appropriate treatment. Depending on assessment and evaluation of your physical health, specialist psychiatrist will be able to decide whether ADHD medication will be safe for you. Apart from medication, you can also use cognitive behavioural strategies to manage ADHD symptoms.

Take care

|