Q. My daughter hardly focuses and is easily carried away with forgetfulness. Does she have ADHD?

Dr. Parth Nagda
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 04, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 08, 2020

My 11-year-old daughter hardly focuses and is easily carried away. She has forgetfulness also. She is smart, but this has been inhibited by talking too much and playing all the time. I have searched online and she happens to be exhibiting all ADHD symptoms.

Dr. Parth Nagda

Psychiatry
#

ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) is pretty common and it usually self remits by the age of 15 to 16 years. So you might need to give her medicines until that time so that her academic performance does not suffer.

You can start off with basic medicines for ADHD such as Atomoxetine 10 mg once a day which is raised to 18 mg twice if needed. Also, 5 mg of Escitalopram or 10 mg of Fluoxetine will also help with her symptoms.

Only when ADHD worsens, higher medicines like Methylphenidate is needed or used. Do visit your local psychiatrist about this and get a prescription. Apart from medicines, you can also visit a psychologist and get some sessions of behavioral therapy which will help with her problems.

Tablet Atomoxetine 10 mg once daily, capsule Fluoxetine 10 mg once daily both in the morning after breakfast for one month.

|