Q. Can hormonal imbalance cause bad stomach cramps?

Dr. Amit Arora
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 08, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 13, 2020

I am 13 years old. I get horrible stomach pains and my doctor thinks I have acid reflex my mom thinks because I have a hormonal imbalance that I am getting bad stomach cramps. She thinks it is the hormones that are doing it but I do not think so. I think it has to do with that it is so bad that sometimes I am breathing fast and it hurts really bad like I am getting stabbed.

I have joint pain in my hip and my knee and like every joint in my body crack sometimes, and almost every day one of my knees feels like it needs to pop and it bothers me and I have to pop it and it feels better. One day it felt like one of my tentacles blood vessels or something got tangled and my nervous system like overreacting or something and I was walking and it started hurting really bad and then it shot right down my leg and it was my nervous system. I fell down because it hurts so bad that I could not walk on it. So I laid down and it still hurt really bad it did not go away and so I crawled a little bit to a chair and it still hurts and then it just disappeared.

Last night I crack my neck but it was like one that does not sound right. I had neck pain and today and it is sharp neck pain in my cord for a second then it left. If I am laying down and keep my butt and shoulder down my lower spine feels like grinding or cracking. I know I have a lot of problems. I had ADHD hormonal imbalance.

Dr. Amit Arora

Cardiology
#

Well, you have multiple problems. I want to ask you a few things.

Since how much time you are suffering from pain in the stomach? What is the exact location of the pain? Above umbilicus, or around the umbilicus, or below that? Is there any association of meals with pain? Does pain associate with vomiting or loose stools? Is this pain occur during your periods (menses) or all the time? What is your body weight?

I suggest taking capsule Omeprazole 20 mg empty stomach once daily in the morning, tablet Dicyclomine and Paracetamol (SOS) when required during pain. If you do not get relieved then get an endoscopy and ultrasonography of abdomen done. For the pain in hip and knee, get an x-ray done first only then we can reach to any conclusion. Take some Calcium preparation available in your country along with some multivitamins.

For pain in the neck, get an x-ray cervical spine done AP (anteroposterior) and lateral view. Get following hormonal test done:

1. FSH (follicle stimulating hormone).

2. LH (luteinizing hormone).

3. Prolactin.

Advice:

Do morning walk and meditation. Take plenty of vegetables and fruits. Avoid spicy and junk foods.

| 

Article Overview: This article discusses ADHD, whether it is a real condition, features of ADHD, how to recognize and manage this common condition, and why ADHD should be treated. Read Article

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

I have met several people, including some doctors, who are skeptical about ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) and question the sudden rise in the number of young people being diagnosed with this condition. I believe that ADHD has always been there, but previously, it was not well recogn...  Read Article

I have a severe knee pain and cannot walk without limping. What it could be?

Query: Hello doctor,I have been having severe pain in my left knee for roughly three days now. It is on the inside of the knee and slightly behind the knee cap while standing and with my leg straight. When it is bent, it is on the outside of the knee too. I cannot put any weight on it, cannot walk properly...  Read Full »

Mediterranean Diet and ADHD Prevention

Article Overview: For the first time, a team of researchers was able to demonstrate a strong link between a type of diet and the risk of ADHD. Read Article

Dr. Laurent Hiffler
Nutritionist

This article is a review of a study that showed how Mediterranean type of diet can influence ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). A research team published a very interesting study demonstrating for the first time, a strong link between a type of diet and the risk of ADHD. Children who ...  Read Article