Q. How to control my son's behavioral problems?

Dr. Manjunadh M Nair
Published on Feb 07, 2017

My son is 5.5 years old with developmental delay, speech delay and poor motor skills. He is always hitting, biting and scratching other kids or me when he is upset for any reason. I do not know how to deal with this. I have tried many things, but nothing works. Also, he has a 9 year old brother who is saying that I hate him because he is always hitting and destroying my things. Also, for the extra attention given to his brother. Please advice.

Dr. Manjunadh M Nair

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I understand your concern.

• Young children with delayed milestones are at high risk of conditions like ADHD (attention-deficit hyperactive disorder) or autism or even behavioral problems.
  • Probably, he needs a careful evaluation to find these problems. Having said that, try methods like parent management training with the help of a psychiatrist. Again these methods are applicable depending on the IQ of children.
  • Sometimes, medication also can be useful especially if the child has a lot of aggression or symptoms of ADHD.  Drugs like Methylphenidate, Clonidine or a small dose of Risperidone can be helpful.
  • You got to talk to your older kid regarding the issues with his young brother and make him understand the need for extra care and probably try to engage him too in his care.
  • Spend quality time with the kids. Try to avoid getting frustrated. Try to praise him or give rewards whenever he does something good. Do not lose hope.
  • Behavior therapy along with medications can do a lot better. It can seem tough, but the happiness in observing the improvement is worth the effort.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Suffering from OCD(Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). Taking medicines, but I do not feel completely good. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) since last 10 years. Getting treated by a doctor with medicines. But I do not feel completely good. Many times I go into very sad mood. Please give me suggestions.  Read Full »

Can Risperidone continue to have an effect two months after taking it?

Query: Hello doctor, I discontinued Risperidone two months ago. I have not had any psychotic symptoms. I believe my schizoaffective disorder is in remission. However, can Risperidone continue to have an effect two months after taking it? If so what is the maximum amount of time Risperidone continue to hav...  Read Full »

Article Overview: This article discusses ADHD, whether it is a real condition, features of ADHD, how to recognize and manage this common condition, and why ADHD should be treated. Read Article

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

I have met several people, including some doctors, who are skeptical about ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) and question the sudden rise in the number of young people being diagnosed with this condition. I believe that ADHD has always been there, but previously, it was not well recogn...  Read Article