Q. How to control my son's behavioral problems?

Dr. Manjunadh M Nair
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 21, 2021

My son is 5.5 years old with developmental delay, speech delay and poor motor skills. He is always hitting, biting and scratching other kids or me when he is upset for any reason. I do not know how to deal with this. I have tried many things, but nothing works. Also, he has a 9 year old brother who is saying that I hate him because he is always hitting and destroying my things. Also, for the extra attention given to his brother. Please advice.

#

I understand your concern.

• Young children with delayed milestones are at high risk of conditions like ADHD (attention-deficit hyperactive disorder) or autism or even behavioral problems.
  • Probably, he needs a careful evaluation to find these problems. Having said that, try methods like parent management training with the help of a psychiatrist. Again these methods are applicable depending on the IQ of children.
  • Sometimes, medication also can be useful especially if the child has a lot of aggression or symptoms of ADHD.  Drugs like Methylphenidate, Clonidine or a small dose of Risperidone can be helpful.
  • You got to talk to your older kid regarding the issues with his young brother and make him understand the need for extra care and probably try to engage him too in his care.
  • Spend quality time with the kids. Try to avoid getting frustrated. Try to praise him or give rewards whenever he does something good. Do not lose hope.
  • Behavior therapy along with medications can do a lot better. It can seem tough, but the happiness in observing the improvement is worth the effort.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|