Q. Are aggressive and destroying behavior, symptoms of bipolar disorder?

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia

My father abuses me a lot and eats a lot. He is really aggressive. He also has some memory problem due to over consumption of alcohol. Unless we give food he starts destroying things. So, I think he is suffering from bipolar disorder. What should I do?

#

Increase appetite, aggressive behavior and destroying things are symptoms of bipolar mania. But, in bipolar mania there is decrease need for sleep.

So, it may be bipolar mania. To make a definite diagnosis, I need to know more details about his behavior.

• Does he have symptoms like demanding behavior, increase talk, tall claims, over familiarity and racing thoughts? When it was started?
  • Is this the first episode? If this is the first episode, then it would be called as mania only, not bipolar disorder or bipolar mania.
  • Is there any past history of same symptoms or any depression episode?

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a psychologist counsellor online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychologist-counsellor

|