Q. Am I suffering from any neurological disorder?

Answered by
Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 21, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am a 30 year old male. I am suffering with the below symptoms which feels like a disorder. I have this disorder running in my family. A few of my paternal uncles also have them, but in a mild form. I had these symptoms since childhood, but it was very mild at that time. I had ignored them previously, but over the course of time this has got severe and now it has started to concern me. The symptoms are severe anxiety, panic struck, sweating palms, facial sweat, getting nervous, trembling hands and legs, voice breaking down, throat gets dry, extensive sweating of palms and sweat starts dripping from palm within a few minutes (hyperhidrosis). I am having the above symptoms when I attend any public or office meetings where I have to speak in front of a crowd, in any social gatherings where I feel I am at focus and when I face any adverse condition or under mental stress due to work pressure. However, I am perfectly normal when I am alone or relaxing at home, having no sign of anxiety or sweat. I have tried a lot to keep my anxiety under control before going out for meetings, but these symptoms appear involuntarily and starts making conditions worse for me. This is making my life difficult and I have started avoiding meetings or gatherings. Am I suffering from any neurological disorder? If yes, please suggest what kind of treatment I should undergo to bring my life back to normal.

Dr. J Mariano Anto Bruno Mascarenhas

Neuro Surgery Neurology Spine Health Spine Surgery


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have read your question with care and understand your concerns.

  • All the symptoms you have mentioned are consistent with agoraphobia with anxiety. This is very likely to be a structural problem in your brain.
  • All you need is proper practice and you can be normal within weeks with talk therapy or psychological counseling.
  • The treatment options for your are,
  1. Psychotherapy.
  2. Cognitive behavioral therapy.
  • You can learn that your fears are unlikely to come true. Also try to manage those symptoms until your anxiety gradually decrease if you remain in public.
  • Find out the factors that trigger a panic attack or panic-like symptoms and what makes them worse. Also learn how to cope with these symptoms.
  • Change unwanted or unhealthy behaviors through desensitization, also called exposure therapy, to safely face the places and situations that cause fear and anxiety.
  • Drugs are needed only if your anxiety persists even after the above treatment.

For further information consult a neurologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Can Anxiety And Stress Cause Frequent Urination?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 34 year old male. I had anxiety issues since childhood. I have been jumping from one idea to another for a long time but it has been three years I have an issue with frequent urination. It started in a bad time for me when I was obsessing that I have HIV. No burning, just sligh...  Read Full »

Generalized Anxiety Disorder(GAD)

Article Overview: A 35-year-old woman came to me with a chief complaint of muscle tension. She stated that she has experienced a considerable amount of muscle tension her entire life, but it has become increasingly worse over the last 12 months. Read Article

The above mentioned patient is suffering from Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). GAD can be defined as anxiety and worry about several events and activities for a majority of the day. The anxiety and worry of GAD differs from normal anxiety by its excessiveness, the difficu...  Read Article



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Neurologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.