Q. When it is cold outside, I wake up gasping for air. What is causing this?

Dr. Abaranam Innaci
This is a premium question & answer published on May 24, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 02, 2022

When I am asleep in bed and it is cold outside, I wake up out of breath and unable to breathe. I gasp for breath. This happens few times a week, only in the fall and winter. I eventually fall back asleep. I just got an inhaler, Ventolin. Hope this helps me. I do not know what is causing this. Medications I am on are Lisinopril, Clozaril, fish oil, and Klonopin (as needed).

#

With your history, it seems you have airway obstruction probably due to seasonal change. Continue Ventolin (Salbutamol). Once your symptoms are settled, do aspirometry test, to assess the level of obstruction.

Take care.

|