Q. My vomit was yellow after I drank alcohol. Is it a sign of permanent liver damage?

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 02, 2019 and last reviewed on: Nov 06, 2019

I am 44 years old. I consumed alcohol (whiskey) last Friday, about 20 ounces over 5 hours. I do not drink often. I had my dinner after taking alcohol. The next day morning I vomited, it was yellow and no food. An hour later, I vomited again, it was green and no food. I have no diarrhea, no jaundice, no bloodshot eyes. Three days later, I have no appetite. Still, I am eating and having bowel movements. I am having an unpleasant odor in my underarms and having mild sweat constantly. Did I permanantly damaged my liver?

#

You consumed a lot of alcohol, very close to the toxic level, and hence you have developed alcohol-induced gastritis.

You cannot permanently damage your liver by binge drinking once. However, if you keep drinking frequently, you will develop fatty liver which later on will progress to liver cirrhosis. So try to reduce your drink in the future.

This recovery will take a few days. I will advise you the following medicines. If you do not get better in two to three days, then you can consult a doctor and he will suggest some tests. 1) Pan 40 (Pantoprazole), one tablet in the morning before breakfast for seven days.

2) Sucralfate syrup 15 ml twice daily after food.

3) Any multivitamin which has B6, and B12 mainly.

4) Syrup Silymarin two teaspoons once daily before sleeping. This will help in improving your liver function.

|