Q. I am morbidly obese with high ALT and AST. Do I have liver cirrhosis?

Answered by
Dr. Zubayeralam
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 25, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 30, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am a 35-year-old female. My height is 175 cm, and I weigh about 135 kg morbid obese. I am recently diagnosed with grade-2 fatty liver size 16.5 apart from that everything is normal in abdominal ultrasound.

LFT shows elevated bilirubin 1.7, ALT 93, AST 47, and GGT 60. All others are normal.

Platelet 378000.

Hemoglobin 15.

Viral markers are negative.

After 5 kg reduction of weight, repeated LFT after 25 days showed bilirubin 2.5, ALT 90, AST 53, and GGT 40. All the other values are normal.

Fibroscan 21 kPa.

Do I have liver cirrhosis? Or can this be reversed? I am in the process of weight loss. Doctor told me it is metabolic syndrome. I am also taking medication for diabetes and hypertension. Now my current weight is 126 kg. I am taking only vegetables, fruits, chicken breast and fish.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from morbid obesity with grade-2 fatty liver. You are a known case of diabetes mellitus and hypertension. You have recently done fibroscan, and the rest has revealed that your TE scores 21.3 kPa suggesting F4 fibrosis with CAP Score 366 dB/m suggesting S3 Steatosis > 67% fat.

Fibroscan can measure fibrosis or scarring and steatosis or fatty change in the liver. Normal value is between 2-7 kPa. Your score is 21.3 kPa indicates stage 4 fibrosis or advanced liver scarring or cirrhosis. When fibrosis progresses to and destroys a liver structure, developing nodules is considered stage 4 fibrosis (F4) or cirrhosis.

It is usually irreversible, but lifestyle modification, weight reduction, and medications may improve the conditions. You can undergo a fasting lipid profile and do as needful by observing the parameters.

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Is the damage caused to the liver in autoimmune hepatitis reversible?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 26 years old. Two years back, I found that I have autoimmune hepatitis. At that time they did Fibroscan, in that kPa is 14.5 (F4). Last one year I took medicines (steroids) and I stopped. Now it again came back and doctors did a biopsy, in that it is showing: Portal and lobular he...  Read Full »

Is it advisable to take various medicines with antibiotic in a fatty liver patient?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a red, swollen and infected ingrown toe nail. It is speeding quickly and painfully. Yesterday I saw Dermatologist for the first time and she wrote me a prescription antibiotic of Ciprofloxacin 500mg/Thrice/day for one week and then do a partial toe nail surgery. Later, my last ...  Read Full »

Please suggest an opinion on my fiber scan and CT scan reports of liver.

Query: Hello doctor, I wanted to get a second opinion on a fiber scan, and CT scan reports I received.  Read Full »

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.