Q. How to cure tongue twists and hand shivering in an alcoholic?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 27, 2019

My father is an alcoholic. He has not been eating for the last 15 days. He is now suffering from insomnia. He is able to see abnormal things like people standing near to him. He has lost weight. He is having heavy sweat at night on the forehead. His tongue twists and has shivering hands. His height is 5'8" and weight is 62 kg. What is the problem with him now?

#

Sorry for your father's condition.

• Your father is suffering from Wernicke's encephalopathy or Korsakoff syndrome. Chronic alcohol abuse lead to deficiency of vitamin thiamine.
  • I would suggest you to take him to ER (emergency room) and have him admitted and monitored for detoxification and thiamine injection.
  • The primary objective is to replenish vitamin B1 (thiamine) storage until he resumes normal diet. Alcohol addiction requires multiple modalities approach.

If I am your doctor then I would like to treat you in the following way:

1. Assessment of alcohol addiction by using AUDIT (Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test) scale.
  2. Motivational interviewing and counseling.
  3. Treatment of medical complication and detoxification of alcohol to prevent withdrawal.
  4. Rehabilitation and counseling for total abstinence.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|