Q. Please help my husband to come out of alcohol addiction.

Dr. Pankaj Mittal
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 30, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My husband has been addicted to alcohol. He gives many reasons like he wished to become an IAS officer, but failed without support. He is good at work. He feels bored when there is no work. He is allergic to Insulin. He does not take any medicine. He needs help.

#

• You have not given much information regarding your husband's problem. First, I need to know about his education, occupation, history of marital adjustment, etc.
  • Second, since how many years he is taking alcohol? How much amount he is taking? What happens when he leaves alcohol like sleep disturbance, anxiety, tremors, etc?
  • Is there any history of road traffic accident or legal issues under influence of alcohol?
  • How much craving (strong desire to take alcohol) he has? Is he eye opener drinker?
  • Does he feel guilt related to his alcohol drinking? And most important, is he willing to quit?
  • You have mentioned here that he is allergic to Insulin. But, why you have not mentioned whether he suffering from diabetes or any other medical illness?
  • Please elaborate on these mentioned points, so help will be more precise.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

My husband is an engineer master degree graduate and is a global director in a reputed company. Work wise he is very prompt and gets awarded each year for his contribution. Ours is a love marriage and have a happy family. A few things which happened in the past have made him to drink. We do not have any problem in our marriage life. We both are very happy with each other. He always wanted to be an entrepreneur, but he did not get a financial support. He is a bit depressed about the things which happened in life. Now, he wants to quit drinking and has tried sometimes. But, that was not fruitful. He will have sleepless nights, which is one of the reasons for making him drink. He has not met with any accidents; in that manner he is very careful. Sometimes, he says that he does not want to live. Sorry, he is allergic to Penicillin and not Insulin. He is not a diabetic patient. Only for sleeping purpose he drinks. He had tried very hard to stop it as well.

#

• Thank you for sending me details as history reveals alcohol dependence and some depressive features also.
  • I would like to advise to admit your husband to some psychiatry and de-addiction facility for detoxification and further management. It will be best for you and your husband.
  • It will hardly take 7 days or face to face consultation may skip admission also as your husband needs close observation.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|