Q. Though I took medicines for allergic cold and bronchitis, my symptoms still persist. Why?

Dr. Amolkumar W. Diwan

I have been taking intermittent treatment for allergic cold and bronchitis with my family doctor pulmonologist and for some time for ET ear problem with a local ENT doctor.

I had allergic sneezing and irritation for about 12 days, but no fever or cough. A local ENT gave me Azithral 500 and Nasivion drops for five days. However, as I got diarrhea on the fourth day, I called my family doctor in another city who prescribed Guncef 325 twice for five days, Montair LC once daily, and Formonide inhaler in case of heavy breathing.

I have completed four days and infection is better and spitting of whitish phlegm is very less. But I still get nose irritation, sneezing, and intermittent throat sore. I do not have a fever or cough. Kindly advice.

#

From your description, it seems that you are suffering from allergic rhinitis and mild intermittent asthma. From the symptoms, it is very obvious that the symptoms like nasal irritation and frequent sneezing are because of nasal allergy. You have already completed the antibiotic course so it is not advisable to repeat it again.

Start Avamys nasal spray (Fluticasone furoate) one puff twice daily in each nostril and continue Montair-LC (Montelukast and Cetirizine) for the time being. Nasivion nasal spray can be taken as required. Formonide inhaler must be continued if you have a cough and breathing difficulty disturbing your daily activities.

You should always gargle after taking Formonide inhaler every time. You should try to find out and avoid the allergy trigger responsible for your symptoms. Once you start taking these medicines regularly all your symptoms will automatically get controlled.

In case no improvement, you should visit your local pulmonologist to find out any other pathology.

Nasal allergy.

Spirometry to confirm the diagnosis of asthma.

Avamys nasal spray 1 puff twice daily in each nostril, Montair-LC daily once at bedtime, Formonide inhaler as per need, Nasivion nasal spray as per need.

Avoid known allergic triggers.

|