Q. Does our doctor's prescription say that my daughter has asthma?

This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 26, 2020

My daughter is 2 year 3 months old. Once she had very bad wheezing and flicking due to wood smoke in the home. Later, I took her to hospital and the doctor kept her in observation. He gave her Levolin for every 15 minutes for three cycles and Montelukast granules. After that, she started coughing only at night. It has been a month. Now, another doctor gave Bactoclav syrup for five days and Ventolin for five days. Her cough was under control. After five days, the same thing started again. Now, the doctor prescribed Levolin syrup and Allegra syrup. Does it mean my daughter has asthma? What should I do to cure her since she is very small? She has also got urinary reflux grade 2. She is on antibiotics from the first month of her life till today.

#

We are here to help you.

• Your daughter seems to be having chemical pneumonitis or allergic bronchitis.
  • At this point of time, we should not label her as having asthma. Allergic bronchitis will settle in two to three weeks and sometime, persist for a few months.
  • Moreover, it aggravates in these months of winters.
  • My recommendations would be to simply keep her on a combination of Levocetirizine and Montelukast for a long duration. I hope that within one month, she would be much better.
  • If chest x-ray is not performed, then get it done.

For further information consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

Even on Levolin syrup and Allegra syrup, she is coughing in the daytime and during sleep. Shall I continue with the same medicine and get a chest x-ray?

#

• Yes, you should continue with the same medicines. I am hopeful that she would improve.
  • Get her chest x-ray and write back to me with the reports.

| 

My asthmatic mother's X-ray is negative for TB. What else this could be?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has asthma as she used to smoke and live near roads. Her X-ray showed that trachea is in the midline, the cardiac shadow is not enlarged, pulmonary vasculatures are not prominent, hemidiaphragm is flattened, costophrenic sulci are blunted, right lower lung infiltrates presen...  Read Full »

How much exposure of sanded grout is considered serious?

Query: Hello doctor, The query is about sanded grout exposure. I am quite concerned about my girlfriend’s exposure to silica dust. We were doing a home renovation. I left for about 1.5 hours while she was removing tile in a kitchen. When I had come back I saw she was removing grout with a grinder an...  Read Full »

Why am I having cold draining nose and body pain?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a cold draining nose and body pain. Please help.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Pulmonologist Now