Q. What is the drug of choice for respiratory allergy and throat infection?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Published on Mar 20, 2019

I am suffering from nose block, throat pain, fever, occasional running nose, and headache. I am taking Nasaflo nasal spray and Fomtide inhaler two puffs every night. What is the drug of choice for the respiratory allergy and throat infection? Kindly help me.

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

From your history, it is obvious that you are suffering from allergic rhinitis and asthma. The current treatment you are taking is appropriate for controlling your asthma and nasal rhinitis. There is no any drug of choice for treatment of respiratory allergy.

The steroids are the mainstay of treatment in any allergy. Nasoflo nasal spray (Fluticasone) and Fomtide inhaler (Formoterol and Budesonide) are good for allergic rhinitis and asthma treatment. For controlling nasal discharge, you can add any second-generation antihistamines like Levocetirizine or Fexofenadine or Desloratadine.

The ultimate goal of treatment in nasal and airway allergy is to control symptoms. There is no permanent cure for any allergy. The avoidance of trigger or allergen should be given priority. So I advise continuing the same treatment for you. If the symptoms get worse in spite of treatment with inhalers, kindly take expert advice of your Pulmonologist. Thank you.

Any allergen.

Skin prick allergy test or blood allergy test.

Nasal and inhaler steroids.

Avoid known triggers.

My asthmatic mother's X-ray is negative for TB. What else this could be?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has asthma as she used to smoke and live near roads. Her X-ray showed that trachea is in the midline, the cardiac shadow is not enlarged, pulmonary vasculatures are not prominent, hemidiaphragm is flattened, costophrenic sulci are blunted, right lower lung infiltrates presen...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I have checked the attached report, along with the data you provided (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Your mother has COPD which is a chronic obstructive lung disease due to changes in the lung with age and due to smoking. In COPD the air is entrapped ins...  Read Full

Is there any permanent solution for wheezing and dust allergy?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am 31 years old.  I have a history of eosinophilia and dust allergy since the age of 12 years.  The onset of eosinophilia and dust allergy has become more frequent since I moved to Bangalore (5-6 years).  Sometimes I suffer wheezing, running nose and watery eyes.  Since, last two...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I am sorry to say that bronchial asthma or allergic bronchitis is just controllable and not completely curable. Following are the answers for your questions: 1. You should avoid Glemont-F. Reserve it only for acute exacerbations. Try to control your problem with inhale...  Read Full

Can herbal capsules be given with allopathic medicine for child with allergic rhinitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My daughter aged 9 years has been suffering from allergic rhinitis for the last few years. During the winter season, cold and cough are very common for her. In the summer, she suffers from coughing and itching in the body. The problem is hereditary as my whole family members like my m...  Read Full >>

Dr. Alka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I just read your query and saw the prescription of allopathic as well as an Ayurvedic physician. First of all, let me answer your question. You can give these Ayurvedic treatments to your daughter along with her allopathic medicine. It does not have any side effect a...  Read Full

Ask a Pulmonologist Now