Q. What is the drug of choice for respiratory allergy and throat infection?

Dr. Amolkumar W. Diwan

I am suffering from nose block, throat pain, fever, occasional running nose, and headache. I am taking Nasaflo nasal spray and Fomtide inhaler two puffs every night. What is the drug of choice for the respiratory allergy and throat infection? Kindly help me.

#

From your history, it is obvious that you are suffering from allergic rhinitis and asthma. The current treatment you are taking is appropriate for controlling your asthma and nasal rhinitis. There is no any drug of choice for treatment of respiratory allergy.

The steroids are the mainstay of treatment in any allergy. Nasoflo nasal spray (Fluticasone) and Fomtide inhaler (Formoterol and Budesonide) are good for allergic rhinitis and asthma treatment. For controlling nasal discharge, you can add any second-generation antihistamines like Levocetirizine or Fexofenadine or Desloratadine.

The ultimate goal of treatment in nasal and airway allergy is to control symptoms. There is no permanent cure for any allergy. The avoidance of trigger or allergen should be given priority. So I advise continuing the same treatment for you. If the symptoms get worse in spite of treatment with inhalers, kindly take expert advice of your Pulmonologist. Thank you.

Any allergen.

Skin prick allergy test or blood allergy test.

Nasal and inhaler steroids.

Avoid known triggers.

|