Q. What can be done to relieve blocked nose at night?

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abelrahman Abouibrahim
Published on Mar 18, 2018

I am a 73-year-old male. Due to nostril blockages at night, my sleep is limited to around two hours at a time. I then turn over and the other nostril blocks and get around two hours of sleep. I use an inhaler which works for a short while. Please advise what I can do. I usually get around four and half hours of broken sleep a night.

#

Thanks for your query. I understand your concerns.

The nasal block is a common issue, and it is usually due to allergy and increase in the winter season.Also, there is Aspirin-induced nasal block and it should be excluded.

I suggest Physiomer nasal spray before bedtime. You can use Otrivin (Xylometazoline 0.025%) nasal drops from time to time, and it is very effective.

Do you have any allergic conditions? Please revert for more details.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

What is the treatment for nasal blockage and fever in small children?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is six years old. He has nasal blockage for the past two weeks. Now, he has developed a fever. His throat and tonsils are swollen. We took him to a doctor. The doctor prescribed him Benadryl 5 ml and Crocin DS 7.5 ml. He has not given any antibiotics. Is it fine? Please suggest.  Read Full >>

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
Child Health Specialist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Do not worry. You can give Augmentin DDS syrup 5.4 GM by 30 ml (Amoxicillin with Clavulanic acid) twice a day for five days along with the above-given medications.  Read Full

I have crackling sound and soreness in my TMJ area. Will it go away by itself?

Query: Hello doctor, I had pain in my left ear and I went to an ENT specialist. He said that my ears are fine and there is no infection. He said that I have soreness in my TMJ joint as I have a tendency to sleep on my left side with my left arm tucked under the pillow. That puts pressure on my TMJ joint a...  Read Full >>

Dr. Mehak Agarwal

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It can be because of two reasons: Due to TMJ (temporomandibular joint) problem. For that, you can do dry hot fomentation and eat soft foods preferably from the other side. It can be due to a nose block or a mild infection. Put decongestant nose drops like Otrivin (Xyl...  Read Full

Which natural remedy can be used to cure chronic nasal congestion?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a runny nose, chronic nasal congestion, chills when cold, sneezing triggered by scents, cat, stress, cold, cigarette smoke and cleaning products. An occasional sore throat, warm body temperature, and clear nasal drip. This has been going on for over six months. Prescribed antib...  Read Full >>

Dr. Arul Amuthan
Pharmacologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For your issue, take turmeric tablets two in the morning and two at night or turmeric powder (2 gm) morning and 2 gm evening after food. Take long pepper powder 1 gm. Mix this with cow milk and boil, then drink it. Daily two times this has to be done or one gram of long...  Read Full