Q. I have chronic nasal congestion, and my lymphocyte count is high. Will you Suggest any solutions?

Dr. Goswami Parth Rajendragiri
This is a premium question & answer published on May 24, 2018 and last reviewed on: Jan 09, 2023

I am a 20-year-old male. I have had nasal congestion for the past three weeks, which is not getting cured. I was also suffering from nausea and increased bowel movements. The nausea is cured, but I feel sick inside. Is it anything serious? In my CBC reports, the neutrophils are 44 %, lymphocytes are 51 %, and platelets are 1.70 lacs. In addition, I feel weakness and blackness coming in front of my eyes, loss of appetite, and muscle aches. Two months back, my liver was swollen, but it was cured within a short time.

#

You have not mentioned the medication that you are taking.

According to your CBC report, you have high lymphocytes count. It is suggestive of a viral infection of the upper respiratory tract. Therefore, I suggest you do the following investigations.

1. Rhinoscopy nose examination.
  2. PNS (paranasal sinuses) x-ray.
  3. Throat the swab and send it for influenza testing by PCR (polymerase chain reaction) and culture.
  4. Auscultation, if suspicious, then chest x-ray can be done.

Meanwhile, I suggest the following. First, consult your specialist doctor, discuss with them and start taking the medicines after their consent.

1. Decongestants like Phenylephrine for symptomatic relief.
  2. Take rest and drink more water.
  3. Steam inhalation three times a day.
  4. Avoid excess spicy foods.
  5. Take vitamin C tablets four times a day for five days.

If there is no improvement, and if influenza is positive, your doctor will give you Oseltamivir-like anti-influenza medication. Consult an ENT specialist for an examination.

|