Q. Why am I having rashes all over the body?

Dr. Shanza Ikram
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 25, 2018 and last reviewed on: Aug 20, 2020

I have rashes all over the body from sauna visits I guess. I first noticed it three days ago. It started as bumps on ears and now they are all over my back, chest, neck, top of feet, knees and upper legs. Currently, I am taking Benadryl pills and topical cream.

#

I have gone through your case. It is an allergic reaction to the temperature and lights used in the sauna (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Please use Calamine lotion. Apply twice daily for seven days. Also, apply 1 % Hydrocortisone cream on as many lesions as you can at night. Only take a small amount.

You can continue with Benadryl pills or use tablet Cetirizine 10 mg at night for seven days. Please avoid driving after Cetirizine as this induces sleep. Do not use any Dettol or safeguard or any other antiseptics. Try using mild soap. Wear only cotton shirts.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I appreciate your quick reply. Can the actual lighting affect your skin as well? Is it mainly the temperature? I have sat in many saunas before but never on a regular basis. I just moved into a new complex that has saunas at them which is why I started on a more regular basis. I would say I sat in it five times over the previous seven days before it started happening. Would you say I would still be getting this type of reaction if I did it one to two times per week rather than five? I have lived here for about five months and when I first moved in I used the sauna roughly one to two times per week and never had an issue. Did I just overdo it? Could it be also heat rash? Thank you again.

#

Actually in your case, both heat and light are equally to be blamed for the rash. There are many types of urticaria, for example, heat urticaria or solar urticaria or cold urticaria and even aquagenic urticaria. And most often, we asked patients to ask themselves if they have been exposed to any precipitating factors like some food and drugs also causes them.

In your case, your history was quite clear about precipitating factors. However, almost 50 % of patients may remain unaware of their cause as they are doing too many things together. The best treatment of your case is above treatment which I have prescribed you and to avoid sauna at least for three weeks or until rash recovers. Then my advice to you is to gradually increase exposure time and find yourself how much time you can spend there comfortably, like take 10 minutes initially, and find out your tolerance point and then always take the sauna for this time duration only. Otherwise, you may have a reaction. This is the most acceptable way of determining the acceptable point which we do in many allergies. It is slightly different from a typical heat rash.

|