Q. I am getting yearly itchy rash outbreaks. What are they?

Answered by
Dr. Suvash Sahu
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on May 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 19, 2020

Hello doctor,

I have been suffering from this problem for a few years and every year it seems to be worsening than the previous one. I am overweight and by working hard I have lost about 15 pounds. I got yearly rash outbreaks on arms, especially forearms. I have diabetes and taking many medications, but doctors say that none of my medicines are responsible for it. It happens mostly in the summer. They are very itchy and do not go away in spite of using creams. I took some pills that did not help either. It leaves horrible scars. Even a dermatologist I saw did not seem to know what was wrong. I am sure it is partially a heat rash, but it has completely scarred up my arms. I am attaching the list of medicines I am taking as well as the biopsy report. Please help.



Welcome to

It looks like (attachment removed to protect patient identity) polymorphic light eruptions, may be allergic contact dermatitis.

You can use full sleeve cotton shirts to cover the photo exposed area.

You need absolute sun protection, good quality broad spectrum physical sunscreen.

It is a chronic problem and it may occur off and on.

You can use mid potency topical steroids over the affected areas once daily for around one week and can continue Hydroxyzine.

Investigations to be done:

1. Control your blood sugar.
2. Go for photopatch test.

Differential diagnosis:

1. Polymorphic light eruptions.
2. Allergic contact dermatitis.
3. Photoallergic reactions to drugs.

Probable diagnosis:

Polymorphic light eruptions.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back after the investigations to a dermatologist online.--->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I have multiple itchy lesions all over my body. What can they be?

.. read your query. It seems you have developed either allergic contact dermatitis or tinea corporis. Please sent pictures of the lesions, for a better understanding. Revert with more information to a dermatologist online --> .. ...   Read full

Skin of penis is peeling a day after sex. Can it be yeast infection or STD?

.. of skin after sexual intercourse occurs in 3 to 5 % of men. The most common cause is allergic (contact dermatitis), followed by fungal infection and STD like chlamydia or gonococcal infection. However, STD is associated with pain and dysuria. The ...   Read full

On application of Selsun blue shampoo, my cheek turned white. Please help.

 Use sunscreen daily ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Dengue Fever: Common Questions Answered
Dengue fever is a self-limiting mosquito-borne viral illness that has taken a massive toll on public health. Read below ...  Read more»
Listeriosis - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Listeriosis is a bacterial infection, that can result in severe complications like meningitis, sepsis, and even death. R...  Read more»
Myositis - Types, Symptoms, Causes, Treatment, and Prognosis
The term "myositis" refers to a set of uncommon diseases. To know more about myositis, read the full article below.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.