Q. I have been taking Alprazolam since 5 years. I am unable to sleep without the medicine. Please help.

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia
Published on May 24, 2015 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2019

• I am taking Alprazolam 3mg since 5 years.
  • I am also taking Carbamazepine 30mg since 3 years.
  • Now I am unable to sleep without the medicine.

Please help.

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

• You have been taking such a high dose of tablet Alprazolam 3mg since 5 years (long duration) and now you are dependent on it.
  • My treatment plan is to shift you to tablet Valium, a long acting benzodiazepine (in place of Alprazolam) and then gradually taper off tablet Valium.
  • So, stop the tablet Alprazolam and start with tablet Valium (Diazepam) 20mg per day.
  • Decrease the dose by 2.5 mg in every 15 days, which means 20mg for 15 days, then 17.5mg for the next 15 days and then 15 mg for the following 15 days and so on. Continue this method till zero dose.
  • Continue tablet Carbamazepine as it is.
  • If you encounter problem with sleep in this regimen, the dosage has to be altered.

Consult a psychiatrist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

• For how long can I take Carbamazepine? 
  • Is this dose enough for chronic psychosis?

Dr. Nidhi Jain Bukharia

#

• Tablet Carbamazepine is an antiepileptic as well as a mood stabilizer.
  • It is effective for mood disorders like mania, bipolar disorder and epilepsy.
  • For psychosis antipsychotics are effective and not mood stabilizers.
  • Even for mood disorders Carbamazepine 30mg dose is not sufficient.
  • It is effective in at least 10mg/kg body weight dose which means, a minimum of 600mg for 60kg body weight.

I can suggest if you should continue or stop Carbamazepine, after knowing your illness in detail. I would like to know the answers for the following:

• For how long have you had the symptoms?
  • How severe are the symptoms?
  • How was the response to this medication?
  • Is there any family history of the same symptoms?
  • How are you now?
  • Do you have any mood fluctuation now?
  • For how long have you been symptom free?

Revert back with the answers to a psychiatrist online for further follow up --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

Can't Sleep? Finding it Really Difficult? Then You Must Read This.

Article Overview: This article speaks about issues related to sleeping problems and its management Read Article

Dr. Ajinkya B Bhandari
Sleep Medicine Physician

Insomnia means in short, "disease of sleep". When you have difficulty to initiate sleep, difficulty in maintaining sleep, or getting unsatisfied sleep, then you are probably suffering from insomnia. Check Out Yourself if You Have Any of the Following Symptoms: Do you take more than 30 minutes t...  Read Article

I wake up coughing at night and swallow water to relieve this. Please advise.

Query: Hi doctor, I always wake up coughing during the night. And when I eat, I get discomfort like trapped wind in my esophagus and have to swallow water hard to relieve this. I tested negative for H. pylori and currently on Lansoprazole which is not improving my symptoms much.  Read Full >>

Dr. Noushif M
Surgical Gastroenterologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are most likely due to gastroesophageal reflux disease, that is, acid reflux from the stomach to the food pipe in the chest. This happens more in the night hours which results in cough and sleep disturbances. Occasionally, it can also result in bad taste e...  Read Full

What can be the reason for lack of sleep and weight gain?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother is 60 years old. She recently got her tests done. She is not able to sleep properly. She is unable to regain her sleep if she wakes up during the night. Can you please go through the reports and let me know what the actual problem is? I am attaching a copy of the test resul...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I went through the attached reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). She has a urine infection that can be well treated by the antibiotics mentioned in the culture report. Her problem of sleeplessness is unrelated to any of these test reports. Sh...  Read Full