Q. Please interpret my blood work for positive ANA antibodies.

Dr. Rajiv Ranjan Kumar

I want to know the results of my blood work. Please help.

#

I have seen the blood report (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Your ANA (antinuclear antibody) is positive, which is a screening test for autoimmune diseases. Your SS-A antibody is strongly positive. It means there is a high chance of Sjogren's syndrome in which dryness of eyes and mouth is the predominant symptom along with other articular, muscular and neurological involvement.

It can also seen in SLE (lupus) and other connective tissue diseases. ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate) is high, it can be due to many reasons commonly due to joint pain and or swelling in this particular scenario. Your CPK (muscle enzyme) is raised, it may be due to myositis or muscle weakness.

Overall the significance of tests goes in favor of Sjogren's syndrome, but this needs to be correlated with history and examination in detail.

Does it mean I have lupus?

#

Lupus causes fever, arthritis, photosensitivity rash, alopecia, recurrent oral ulcers, kidney involvement and many more.

Sjogren's syndrome causes dryness in eyes and mouth, joint pain, muscle pain, and parotid gland enlargement.

So presently from tests, it goes more in favour of Sjogren's syndrome. SS-A is present in 60-80 percent cases of Sjogren's syndrome and 25-30 percent cases of Lupus.

Lupus specific antibodies are negative on tests. So from the tests it seems more likely to have Sjogren's syndrome rather than lupus but it needs to be correlated clinically.

|