Q. I feel a bit of bloating, get flatulence, and pass a stool of 1 cm in diameter. Is this something serious?

Dr. Penchala Prasad Kandikattu
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Oct 28, 2020

I feel a bit of bloating after I eat a meal; it continues for half an hour and then eases out without any medication. Sometimes I feel the need to urinate. Is this normal? Sometimes I get flatulence. I pass stool of diameter 1 cm, often in pieces, twice a day. Is it something serious?

#

Do not worry; you may be suffering from food intolerance like irritable bowel syndrome or acid peptic disease or lactose or gluten intolerance.

Until examination is done, it is difficult to say what it is.

• Use tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg once a day before breakfast for one week.
  • Avoid caffeinated drinks and dairy products.
  • Do regular exercise and yoga.
  • Avoid food containing gluten.
  • Use tablet Normaxin (Clidinium Bromide, Chlordiazepoxide, Dicyclomine HCL) twice a day for five days.

If symptoms are not improved, please consult with your physician; he will examine and treat you accordingly.

Take care.

Thank you for your reply.

Is stool 1 cm of diameter twice a day without constipation normal?

#

Yes, it is normal to pass stools around 1 cm. But do not worry in a few conditions like anal canal stenosis or anal muscular spasm or fissure also may present like this. To evaluate for this, you have to get rectal examination or proctoscopy. But, recently passing or new onset of thin stools maybe not a serious problem. Observe for two weeks, if you are still passing thin stools, please consult with your surgeon; he will examine and treat you accordingly.

Take care.

|