Q. Please help me understand my mom's MRI report of the lumbar spine.

Published on May 07, 2017

My 68 years old mother is having severe back pain since last few months. Whenever she stands up for some time, her back pain starts, and it goes down to the entire legs. It becomes so intolerable that she has to sit down somewhere immediately to avoid pain, and she gets relief after she lies down on the bed. Recently, she did an MRI of the lumbar spine with the ischial region, and the findings and impression of the MRI are, mild scoliosis is seen with concavity to the left. A mild forward shift of L4 over L5 is observed. Small osteophytes are seen. L4-L5 disc height is reduced. Lower lumbar discs are desiccated. Posterior protrusions of L4-L5 discs are observed compressing the thecal sac. Encroachment of both L4-L5 and L5-S1 foramina is noted. Ligamental and facet hypertrophy is also contributing to foraminal stenosis. The impression is grade I listhesis of L4 over L5 with mild scoliosis. Early changes of lumbar spondylosis with desiccation of lower lumbar spine. Posterior protrusions of L4-L5 and L5-S1 discs compressing the thecal sac. Encroachment of both L4-L5 and L5-S1 foramina. Screening of pelvis with both hips do not show any significant abnormality.

She has diabetes since the last ten years. And hypertension since last 15 years, for which she takes antihypertensive medications. She has a history of varicose veins, for which endovenous laser ablation was done. She underwent right knee replacement two years ago. She also has a history of anal fissures, which was surgically treated twice. I request you to please give me your opinion about this and best possible line of treatment to relieve back pain at the earliest, as it is intolerable now. I have attached her reports for your better understanding.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

I have seen your mother's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Your mother seems to be suffering from radiculopathy, due to nerve compression as a result of disc prolapse. The treatment of this problem needs patience and takes a long time.
  • For pain, I suggest you try the following.
  1. A combination of Pregabalin and Methylcobalamin.
  2. To do hot fomentation of the affected area.
  3. To apply Diclofenac ointment locally.
  4. To get physiotherapy done, particularly ultrasonic heat massage.
  5. SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) like Duloxetine, it helps in the long run.
  • But if the compression is very severe, causing motor weakness and tingling on any side of the body, then surgical intervention would be required.

I hope it helps. If you have any further query, please ask me.

For more information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Had cervical polypectomy and experiencing back pain. Will it subside in time?

Query: Hi doctor, I had cervical polypectomy and was told to expect brown discharge. Now experiencing cramping, minor bleeding, vinegar smell, and severe back pain, to the point that I am dizzy and nauseous. A couple of days earlier had a bunch of discharge that looked like dark reddish and orangish skin....  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is normal to experience reddish brown discharge for 4-5 days post cervical polypectomy, but it should not cause any back pain per se unless there has been a secondary infection or vaginitis or bacterial vaginosis which is quite likely with vinegar smell. Flagyl (Met...  Read Full

What is the best treatment for Erb's palsy?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has Erbs palsy but we did physiotherapy for three months and the doctor said she is fine but she is still struggling with the hand and this is about six months after the doctor discharged us. Please tell me what should I do.  Read Full >>

Dr. Jay Indravadan Patel
Physiotherapist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for providing the brief history of your daughter. I am sorry firstly to hear that your daughter is being diagnosed with Erb's palsy. Well, I would suggest you to continue physiotherapy for atleast three days a week as it will be of good help for her. Usuall...  Read Full

When can physiotherapy be started after bilateral hip replacement surgery?

Query: Hi doctor, I had bilateral hip replacement surgery done recently. The right hip was replaced last month, and the left hip was replaced this month. Is it advisable to do physiotherapy now?  Read Full >>

Dr. Shakti Mishra
Nutritionist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The day when a hip replacement is done, that day itself, other joint movements should be started as early as possible. First, non-weight-bearing physiotherapy should be done, followed by partial and full weight-bearing exercises. Non-weight bearing movements should be don...  Read Full