Q. Which medicines are used to treat parasitic infection?

Dr. Rohit Jain
Published on Dec 09, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi Doctor,

Which anthelmintic medicine would you recommend for a treatment for a possible parasitic infection (worm)? Is it Albendazole? If yes, for how many days?

I do have some itchiness around my anus area and cannot get a doctor appointment here.

Dr. Rohit Jain

Cardiology Critical Care Physician Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Sexology
#

Thanks for writing to us.

It is important to find out which type of worm infection you are suffering from. There are hundreds of worms which enter the body and the treatment varies depending on the type of the worm.

So, ideally you should get a stool routine/microscopy done. It is a simple test and is available everywhere.

If you want a broad spectrum drug which would cure mostly all types, then tablet Albendazole is good to start with. Take tablet Zentel 400mg once in night, then in morning check for worms coming out in stools. Repeat the same dose for 3 nights. Mostly all types of worms will be evacuated by this.

For anal itching, please apply Quadriderm ointment to remove the ulceration and inflammation which the worms have caused.

If you need any other clarification or if you get the report of the stool test, please feel free to write to us back --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

| 

Ayurvedic Management of Anal Fistula

Article Overview: This article discusses in detail about kshar sutra, a unique therapy and a minimal invasive para surgical measure practiced in the management of anal fistula or Bhagandara cases.  Read Article

Dr. Gandhidas S Lavekar

The Kshara karma is one of the Anushastra karma, a minimal invasive para-surgical measure. Ksharsutra is the method of Ksharakarma mainly employed in fistula-in-ano (anal fistula) and hemorrhoids (piles). This unique method has many advantages over conventional surgical methods, as this is an ambula...  Read Article

I have weight loss due to digestion issues. How to gain the weight back?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from digestion issues, mostly bloating, from more than seven months. While taking medicines, I was feeling fine, and once I stopped them, my symptoms recurred. My present symptoms include indigestion, constipation, improper motions, low appetite, weight loss, inabilit...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for hemorrhoids?

Query: Hi doctor, There is a sharp pain, itching and burning sensation in my anus. I am suffering from hemorrhoids. I am taking ointment and painkiller with a sitz bath. What can I do to treat them?  Read Full »