Q. Is chronic ileitis a curable one?

This is a premium question & answer published on May 01, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 10, 2020

I am suffering from IBS since the last year. I am getting diarrhea whenever I eat outside food. Recently, I have been detected with chronic ileitis with activity after colonoscopy. I am ready to send the reports for kind perusal of gastroenterologist. Is it curable?

I am now on Mesacol 800 mg three tablets daily and Folvite 5 mg one tablet daily. I am also taking some supplements like Amway nutrilite multivitamin once daily and cod liver oil capsule two to three daily. I have already taken medication for last one month with restricted foods such as no tea, no dairy product, no fried food, spice, etc.

I also take cabbage juice as I have found that it is good for the disease. There is some burning feeling in the upper abdomen when I take lemon and tea. I am worried about what would happen?

Will it lead to cancer? I have attached the reports of my stool, blood, urine, colonoscopy and ultrasound. I am eagerly looking for your kind reply. Thank you.

#

Yes, these ulcers can be healed. But, it will take some time.

Colonoscopy shows multiple ulcers in terminal ileum. The cause of these ulcers could be Crohn's disease, tubercular ulcers or chronic non-specific ulcers which heal by their own.

But, your report does not suggest Crohn's disease or tuberculosis (attachment removed to protect patient identity) as the cause. So, you just have to adhere to medication and diet modification to heal them.

Your gallbladder shows adenomyomatosis which is benign enlargement of gallbladder. But, your direct bilirubin and liver enzymes are raised suggesting liver injury and adenomyomatosis could be the cause for it.

Please do not fear of cancer as histopathology report has ruled out cancer.

Medication with strict adherence to diet that you are following will show good results soon.

Cod liver oil should not be taken more than once in a day.

For further information consult an medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Thank you so much. I shall follow your advice. I have occasional anal itching and stomach burning problem. What to do?

#

Stomach burning problem is due to ulcer and ileitis only. Once the ulcer heals, the burning sensation will also resolve.

Itching around anus could be due to worm infestation and the most common is pinworm. Worm infection can be treated by Albendazole. It can also be due to piles, but that need physical examination to rule out.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

|