Q. Other than Spironolactone, which is the best medicine to reduce high androgen level in female?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Sep 30, 2019

I have an excess level of androgen as a female and have been taking the medication called Spironolactone, for the past few years. But with this medication, I only see minimal improvement in lowering my Androgen level. Do you have some suggestions for supplements or medications that could either take along with the Spironolactone or instead of the Spironolactone?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

I read your query, and from what you have mentioned it appears that you have high DHEA levels (dehydroepiandrosterone) although I cannot understand that number clearly from the test reports that you have attached and you are not getting much benefit from Spironolactone. However, you can benefit from Dianette (cyproterone acetate, ethinylestradiol). Take it daily one tablet like a contraceptive pill.

It contains an anti-androgenic drug called cyproterone acetate. It is superior to Spironolactone. You must check your liver function test before starting and every four to six weeks for the entire duration of treatment. I hope you find my advice beneficial.

How to remove the excess abdominal fluid in a colon cancer patient?

Query: Hi doctor, My aunt has colon cancer for the past three years. She has a tumor of 8 cm. As all other organs are not compromised, she stopped with the chemotherapy like one year ago. Now, she has peritoneal pseudomyxoma and ascites. In the hospital, the doctors say that the liquid in her abdominal c...  Read Full »

PCOS and Weight Management

Article Overview: Weight reduction plays a major role in managing the complications of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). Read Article

Dr. Deepali Mohan Pohane

PCOS or polycystic ovarian syndrome is a hormonal disorder in women. Studies and observations have shown that proper weight management has resolved many issues associated with PCOS. PCOS Is Characterized By: Menstrual irregularities. Excess androgen. Ultrasound features of multiple small folli...  Read Article

PCOS: A Common Hormonal Disorder In Women

Article Overview: In Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome/Disease, the ovaries develop many small follicles and lead to hormonal imbalance in women. Read Article

Dr. Purushottam Sah

What is PCOS? PCOS is Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome. Here the ovaries develop many small follicles, also called cysts of 4-10mm. Poly means ‘many’ and ‘cysts’ are small closed sacs filled with fluid. It often occurs in general female population but is more prevalent in infertil...  Read Article

Ask an Endocrinologist Now