Q. How to cure the itchiness of my scalp and hair loss despite using anti-dandruff medication?

Dr. Deepti Shukla

I am a 31-year-old male, measuring 183 cm in height and weighing 90 kg. I have noticed that I appear to be balding very quickly. I am unaware if my hairline is receding. But the back of my head is developing bald patches. Before two months, I started scratching my itchy scalp a lot and noticed hair loss. I have been on Concerta extended-release 56 mg for ADHD for about five months and Wellbutrin for two weeks. I am also on Xanax for occasional anxiety, Diazepam for sleep and daytime anxiety, tablet K-Cab (next-generation PPI). I have been taking anti-dandruff medication as my scalp can get very itchy. Kindly help.

#

Do not worry. I will help you with your concern. I went through your photos (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity) and history. It looks like alopecia areata or androgenetic alopecia. I need to ask a few questions to provide a definitive diagnosis to start proper treatment.

1) Since when are you facing this hair loss?

2) How did it start?

3) Do you have any patches of hair loss elsewhere on the scalp or beard?

4) Any history of thyroid disease in the family or you?

Kindly answer the questions mentioned above.

Thank you for your quick response. The hair loss started two months. My wife is very concerned that it is medication-related (Concerta). There is no other facial or body hair loss but a little bit on the sides of my head. There is no history of thyroid disease.

#

It is not related to medicines. This is androgenetic alopecia (AGA), also known as male pattern baldness. Due to genetic and hormonal influence in AGA, the hairline starts to recede, and hair thinning occurs. For this, proper treatment, including Minoxidil, has to be started.

Thanks and regards.

|