Q. Why is there hair thinning and loss of density after delivery?

Dr. Sushil Kakkar

I am 28 years old woman. I have two kids. After my second delivery, my hair became so thin. I lost my hair density. Before my delivery, my normal hair will be so thick. Thyroid, sugar level, hemoglobin are normal. I am taking Vitamin supplements also. There is no improvement. Why have I lost my hair thickness? Please give some solution.

#

Perhaps you have androgenetic alopecia. Androgenetic alopecia mainly affects the front, mid and vertex part of the scalp. In this type of alopecia, there is hair loss and thinning which manifests as reduced hair density and volume. Minoxidil and oral Finasteride are approved remedies for androgenetic alopecia. I request you to kindly upload a few images of the affected area on the scalp so that I can confirm and guide you better.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have attached the files. Kindly have a look and guide me.

#

I have viewed the image (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The part width is wide, and there is thinning of hair. This is classical of androgenetic alopecia. I suggest you apply Mintop Eva (Minoxidil) 5 % solution, 1 ml, twice daily on scalp skin with the help of a dropper. Also, I suggest you take an oral Finasteride 5 mg (tablet Finast 5 mg) once a day for a long term. Finasteride is not safe during pregnancy. However, you may safely take it if you have completed your family and are not planning any pregnancies in future.

Can I expect complete recovery? If yes, how long will it take time to regrow my normal hair? I am so stressed because of this issue. Any other lifestyle change I have to follow?

#

Welcome back to iclilniq.com.

Response takes time. You need to follow treatment regularly for a few months for noticeable improvement. Ideally, treatment is to be continued lifelong for maintenance and to arrest further progression.

|