Q. Is it fine to plan for baby while taking Finasteride?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal
Published on Aug 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have been consuming Finasteride 1 mg for more than a year for androgenic alopecia. I have mild hair fall concentrated at the vertex. My hair started thinning before four years, mostly at the vertex. My age is 36. I am in excellent health and married. Now, I am planning for a baby. Currently, I am taking Finasteride alone. But, in the past, I used Minoxidil. As my scalp was too dry, I stopped using it before six months. Since, Finasteride is contraindicated for women, are there chances of my wife getting affected from my consumption of it?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I have read your query in detail and do understand your concern.

• Studies have shown that there is no risk to the mother or fetus if the partner is on Finasteride 1 mg daily while conceiving and thereafter.
  • However, females should avoid handling these tablets during pregnancy just as a precautionary measure.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thank you for the quick response. Is it better to have both Finasteride and Minoxidil for better result? Or just any one of these can be resorted with equal impact? How long does Finasteride take to go out of the system completely once the person stops consuming?

Dr. Jyotisterna Mittal

#

• Always, the drugs when taken together have better effect than either one of them.
  • Also, Finasteride is washed off from the system in about three to four days time after stopping.
  • You can try some other brand of Minoxidil 5% lotion such as Tugain 5%, Mintop forte lotion, etc., if the earlier one was found drying.
  • There are differences in the base of the lotion from company to company, so you may find a different product more suitable.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Alopecia - Hair loss Treatment Through Homeopathy

Article Overview: Hair fall problems are at a rise, and even young adults are complaining about it. This article provides homeopathic treatment options for hair fall. Read Article

Dr. Sheetal Kamble
Homeopathic Physician

Nowadays, hair fall problem is gradually increasing. Many young adults have been complaining about hair loss issues. Some of them complain about genetic or hereditary kind of hair loss, while some of them complain hair fall after the use of certain medications or due to some external factors like ch...  Read Article

How do I control hair fall?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 24 year old male. My problem is regular hair fall. How to control hair loss? Also, I want to regrow it. Please help.  Read Full »

Please give me a solution for extreme hair loss.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 19 year old boy with extreme hair loss. Even at this age, my scalp is clearly visible. I tend to lose around 100 strands of hair daily. Please help.  Read Full »