Q. Please explain the side effects of Finasteride.

Dr. Gaurang Gupta
Published on May 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 27 year old male. I am suffering from androgenetic alopecia since I was 18. Recently a doctor advised me to take Genesis (Finasteride) along with Novophane capsules and to spray Minoxidil. I want to ask whether this is the right type of medication. Also what are the possible side effects? Especially of Finasteride regarding erectile dysfunction. Thanks in anticipation.

Dr. Gaurang Gupta

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon Venereology
#

There are few misconception related to Finasteride.

• Yes, it is true that it has side effects. Loss of libido and erectile dysfunction are a bit rare.
  • Finasteride 1 mg every day is the dose recommended by Association of Dermatology and there are so many study and research papers which say 1 mg Finasteride does not affect sexual part of life.
  • I always give this medicine to unmarried young guys without any side effects.
  • Study shows if Finasteride dose is more than 5 mg then only the side effect will start in the body, otherwise nothing happens.
  • Most important thing is that the effect is never ever permanent. It is always reversible and male hormonal level become normal with in three to four weeks.
  • So, you can take this medicine. But, it is not a permanent solution. It can only delay the alopecia, but cannot stop it forever.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Why is there hair thinning and loss of density after delivery?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 28 years old woman. I have two kids. After my second delivery, my hair became so thin. I lost my hair density. Before my delivery, my normal hair will be so thick. Thyroid, sugar level, hemoglobin are normal. I am taking Vitamin supplements also. There is no improvement. Why have...  Read Full >>

Dr. Kakkar
Dermatologist, HIV AIDS Specialist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi,Welcome to icliniq.com.Perhaps you have androgenetic alopecia. Androgenetic alopecia mainly affects the front, mid and vertex part of the scalp. In this type of alopecia, there is hair loss and thinning which manifests as reduced hair density and volume. Minoxidil and oral Finasteride are approve...  Read Full

Please suggest some medicine to improve premature ejaculation.

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 36 year old unmarried male. I have been suffering from premature ejaculation for the past 12 years. As my friend suggested, I am using Suhagra 50 mg pill before intercourse and had good erection. During my first time intercourse, I had very quick ejaculation. I was able to hold my ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You can discuss with your dermatologist regarding erectile dysfunction and stop Finax (Finasteride). For premature ejaculation, I suggest Dapoxetine 30 mg one hour before intercourse. You can refer net sources and practice squeeze technique and Kegel exercise. Practice ...  Read Full

How can I stop hair fall?

Query: Hello doctor, I started losing hair a year ago. Probably after starting my job. Mainly hairs on my temples and side hairs on the front part of my head. I was using Nutrafol tablets and have used it for about four months now and have not seen any results. Please help.  Read Full >>

Cosmetologist, Dermatologist, Family Physician, General Practitioner, HIV AIDS Specialist, Plastic Surgeon, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are suffering from androgenic alopecia. Use Minoxidil 5% lotion 1 ml twice daily and tablet Finasteride 1 mg once daily.  Read Full