Q. I am just 22 and already going bald. Why?

Dr. (prof.) Kumaresan Muthuvel
Published on Aug 04, 2017

I am a 22 year old male, height 5 feet and 5 inches and weight 66 kg. I first started experiencing hair fall a year ago, and after taking homeopathy treatment, there was a good improvement in a couple of months. I did not have any hair fall for eight to nine months. But, from the last three to four months, I am experiencing hair fall again. Now, it is a serious issue. Whenever I comb my hair, a minimum of 10 to 15 hair falls. I do not have any dandruff. What should I do now?

And another problem is that I am almost 23, but I am still not getting a beard on my face. I have little hair on the chin, and that's it. What should I do to grow facial hair? I do not take any medicines.

Dr. (prof.) Kumaresan Muthuvel

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon
#

• The hair fall you are experiencing might be androgenetic alopecia, and this is a genetic condition. This happens if your father or other family members are bald. Usually, the genetic baldness starts from the age of 20 to 25 and gradually progresses. A fall of up to 100 hair per day is considered normal.
  • You need to start using Minoxidil solution daily at night time for at least a year.
  • Start a Vitamin supplement with Biotin 5 mg for a period of three months. Once you start the medications, the hair fall reduces by four months.
  • Regarding growing your facial hair, it is normal for some males to have a delayed facial hair growth. You can wait for a few more years. If your underarm hair and pubic hair are normal, you need not worry. If not, you will need to check your hormone levels.

For more information consult a cosmetologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

Thanks for your reply. Yes, my father has partial baldness. Please tell me in detail about the medicines I should take.

Dr. (prof.) Kumaresan Muthuvel

#

• I suggest the following medicines:
  1. Tugain (Minoxidil 5 %) solution at night for a period of six months.
  2. KZ lotion (Ketoconazole 2 %) as a shampoo weekly once.
  3. Tablet Follihair (Biotin) once a day, every morning for three months.

Follow up after three months.

Revert after three months to a cosmetologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

Can bleaching be really harmful to my hair?

Query: Hello doctor, I bleached my roots twice in the summer, and there was a ton of overlap, resulting in a lot of breakages. I thought the breakage subsided so I had extensions put in. I just recently had them taken out and realized that my hair has become super thin and I have lost a lot of them and my...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Bleaching repeatedly would cause damage to the Disulfide bonds present in the hair, which is most often temporary. You definitely need hair nutrients like biotin, cysteine, selenium, calcium pantothenate, zinc, vitamin C to restore normal growth pattern of hair. Pl...  Read Full

Please suggest a treatment for dandruff.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from dandruff for more than a year. I am a prefinal year student and my gender is female. Please suggest a solution for dandruff. Can I use One shot dandruff killer?  Read Full >>

Dr. Syed Shakeel Akthar
Dermatologist, Venereologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Dandruff is formed due to oily scalp. If you are using oil for hair, please avoid it. Dandruff cannot be cured permanently. It can only be controlled. For now, use Ketoconazole shampoo (Nizral shampoo twice weekly for three weeks and thereafter once it is controlled, us...  Read Full

Please help me with my itchy scalp.

Query: Hi doctor, I have itchy scalp and have started losing hair. Can I get help on this?  Read Full >>

Dr. Joydeep Singha

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You have probably seborrheic capitis (an eczema). I suggest Ketoconazole shampoo on alternate day. Keep in contact with scalp for 7 to 10 minutes in each application and continue it for three to six months. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and ...  Read Full

Ask a Cosmetologist Now