Q. Kindly suggest remedies to raise RBC count in anemic.

Dr. Smrita Singh

My mother is suffering from anemia. She was hospitalized with hemoglobin 4.6. After two units of blood transfusion, it came up to 6.8 and gone back to 6.3 after 10 days, then another unit was transfused. Endoscopy, colonoscopy, CT-scan have been done but no concrete reason was found. Then serum iron and ferritin test showed ferrozine, cobas / 6000 at 396 micro-gm/dl and ELFA, mini vidas 10.6 ng/ml. She is currently taking Astier XT one tablet per day.

Dr. Smrita Singh

Hematology Pathology
#

Her RBC count is very low with low serum ferritin and high serum iron (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Also, her anemia is normocytic normochromic which is generally seen in bleeding due to chronic blood loss or in chronic disease. Other causes can be chronic kidney disease or liver disease, both of which are unlike since the renal and liver function tests are normal. Since occult blood is present in stool, a gastrointestinal bleed is the most likely cause. But that has been ruled out by endoscopic tests.

However, occult blood in the stool may be falsely positive in the following instances if it is a chemical occult blood test, like Iron medication (which is the most likely cause in your mother's), certain fruits and vegetables, Vitamin C, meat. It is better to get the stool tested for occult blood by the immunologic test as it is not affected by these things. A bone marrow biopsy can be done to rule out aplastic anemia. Other causes of anemia of chronic disease should be ruled out like an autoimmune disease. Blood transfusions will not cure the anemia unless the underlying cause is treated.

| 

I have attached the complete history of CBC. I have also attached the reports of endoscopy, colonoscopy, CT scan, and other biochemical test reports.

Dr. Smrita Singh

Hematology Pathology
#

I have gone through the attached blood test results. Based on those I have ruled out liver and kidney disease as a cause of your mother's anemia. The specific test for occult blood is not specified in the result.

| 

Thank you for your detailed response.

Dr. Smrita Singh

Hematology Pathology
#

I have assumed that the chemical method was used since it is easy and more widely used. So I would ask that you please repeat the stool for occult blood and ask for the test to be done by the immunologic method. If it comes positive then there is a gastrointestinal bleed which has not been detected. If it is negative, then the cause of her anemia is some other chronic disease which needs to be worked up.

| 

So, apart from occult blood by the immunologic test, what other tests should be performed?

Dr. Smrita Singh

Hematology Pathology
#

I would suggest you get a peripheral blood smear study and thyroid function tests done. That is if the occult blood in stool is negative by the immunologic test.

| 

Thank you for your replies.

Dr. Smrita Singh

Hematology Pathology
#

You are welcome. Take care.

| 

What causes cold hands and feet along with fatigue?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having cold hands and feet. I also have little bit of fatigue. Two years ago, I lost 90 pounds with diet and exercise. I had high blood pressure and anemia when I was pregnant with twins three years ago. Now, I have taken a complete blood count. I am attaching the reports for your r...  Read Full »

What is microcytic normochromic anemia?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a full blood count done and the report mentioned that there were microcytic normochromic cells noted. What does the report mean? Am I anemic or vitamin deficient? What do I do to get better? What are the concerning signs from this report? I do usually feel fatigued and lazy. How can...  Read Full »

Tips To Prevent Iron Deficiency Anemia In Children

Article Overview: Have you as a parent observed symptoms like lethargy in your kids? Or even difficulty in breathing? If so, do get a complete blood test done to check your child’s hemoglobin levels. If the hemoglobin count is too low, your child may be suffering from iron deficiency anemia. It may be due to various reasons. Having a lot of worms may also reflect symptoms like iron deficiency anemia in children. Also, a diet lacking in iron may force your child to develop anemia. Certain malabsorption disorders and gut disorders may also lead to iron deficiency anemia. Piles in children can lead to anemia. Children who are deficient in iron may have certain cravings for non-nutritive foods like chalk. These are symptoms to figure out if your child is deficient in iron. Read Article

Dr. Krystel Quadros
Paediatrician

Iron deficiency anemia can certainly be prevented by following the tips mentioned below. Make Your Kid Consume Iron Rich Sources Iron deficiency anemia can be prevented by consuming iron-rich foods like a diet consisting of enough greens, chicken, liver, garden cress seeds and flaxseeds. If your c...  Read Article

Ask a Hematologist Now