Q. I noticed some beating around my abdomen with no discomfort. Is it aortic aneurysm?

Recently I have noticed that the area around my abdomen is beating. This is happening for a bit of time but I have only noticed it now. This is not something I would normally be worried about but I have searched it up online and it has come up about something called an aortic aneurysm and I am now worried. There is no other issue such as pain with it or anything. I am 20 years old. I am not very skinny and I do not smoke. I am just wondering what are the chances I have an aortic aneurysm?

#

It is rare to have an abdominal aortic aneurysm at your age and without risk factors. Also, it is quite common to see pulsations in the abdominal region, which are normally transmitted pulsations from aorta even in individuals who are not skinny. And you do not have any symptoms like abdominal pain pertaining to it. So, there is no factor which can support its presence in you.

You must be having these pulsations for long but remained unnoticed. Now, the probability of abdominal aortic aneurysm is extremely low, but a definitive way to rule it out is an ultrasound of the abdomen only or good examination by a local doctor. If you think these pulsations are quite prominent or vigorous then you may get yourself examined or have an ultrasound.

So in a nutshell, there is nothing to support its possibility, but needs ultrasound to rule it out, which I guess is unnecessary at the moment and examination by a doctor would be enough, just to be sure.

I have asked a couple of other doctors as well just to put my mind at ease and they all seem to say the same. I will keep an eye on it.

#

You are welcome. Keep in touch for further doubts.

|