Q. Should I worry about the swelling seen after 15 days of aneurysmal bone cyst?

Dr. Lokesh

I have a 6-year-old daughter diagnosed with an aneurysmal bone cyst at the medial end of the left clavicle. Histology report confirms the aneurysmal bone cyst. Curettage was done, and it was filled with Chronos granules. Can my child become well? Even after 15 days after surgery, it remains swollen, and there is no pain. The movements are free. Will it stay as a cosmetic defect? I have sent the pictures. Please help.

#

I have gone through the attachment (attachment removed to protect patient identity). She should do well after the surgery. Curettage is done thoroughly and filled with grafts. There are chances of recurrence, which are pretty high. Recurrence usually occurs between six months and two years. So, this time needs close observation.

X-ray has to be taken every three months after surgery. The swelling usually reduces in size but, never comes back to normal and there remains a slight bulging. The reduction in the swelling will take for about two to three years and do not expect anything immediately.

I had operated one case about two years ago, and the patient is doing fine now. There is no recurrence, and the swelling has got reduced by 50 to 60 %. The upper limb is back to normal with no pain, and the patient is happy. These are difficult and rare cases.

A lot depends upon the disease, the surgeon and the type of surgery offered and skill. The cosmetic defect is the last thing that should be worried. You should be concerned about recurrence.

|