Q. I need help deciphering my laboratory reports. Is my anion gap normal?

and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I need help deciphering my laboratory results. I had bloodwork to check liver function test since I am on 750 mg of Oxycarbazepine a day. A few results were either high or low, and I am paranoid that something is wrong.

#

Any investigations need to be correlated with clinical symptoms. So, in general, your reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) have nothing alarming. Low creatinine, disturbed anion gap, and chloride can be a result of some dehydration or overhydration. So nothing needs to be done. Disturbed lymphocytes of this level are normal. This can happen if you have a viral fever. If no fever, then considered normal. Your third report of liver functions is normal. So, you need to mention if you have any symptoms? Revert with the asked details for better help.

Thanks for your reply.

I do not have any symptoms; I am having a little nose congestion on one side and a slight cough but other than that, no fever or anything. I was diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia earlier this year, and it only affects one side (presents as a dull, congested feeling). Still, I had a sinus. CT scan and an ultrasound of my thyroid were done to rule out anything else. I just wanted to make sure my labs were not anything to be concerned with; my mind was starting to wonder. Should I be involved with the anion gap number? I have heard that it is rare. Is it so?

#

So your mild nose congestion could be viral, and that can cause affect lymphocytes to count. I have well studied your laboratory reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). When you are asymptomatic, these reports, including anion gap, would be considered normal. Searching on the internet would confuse you.

|