Q. I am having calf pain after walking around the mall and it hurts when I stretch my leg. What to do?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hema

I just came back from a day walking around the mall. I am having cramping pain in my left calf. It feels like a rubber band is wrapped around my leg. It is better when sitting but hurts when outstretched. I am on Enbrel and previous medical history includes low blood pressure and low cholesterol. My recent blood work is normal and only a little thing off was anion gap.

Do you have a question on Calf Pain or Ankylosing Spondylitis?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Sumit Chawla

MBBS., MS ORTHO
Orthopedics And Traumatology

I am glad to answer your query.

I would have appreciated a reason for having ENBREL (Etanercept), whether RA or ankylosing spondylitis or psoriatic arthritis. The drug have some known neurological side effects along with increase susceptibility to infection.

Your condition might be just tiredness from exertion while walking around the mall.

If you are a patient of rheumatoid arthritis or ankylosing spondylitis, then you should give some rest to your legs. soak them in lukewarm water, clean the feet and rest your legs with pillow beneath the calf muscles muscles.

If you have psoriatic arthritis do not soak feet in warm water. just give some rest. Your pain should subside in a day or two.

If there is no relief or decrease in intensity of pain after rest for a day or continuous increase in pain should warrant a physical examination. I have good hope that this treatment shall be enough to help you get rid of the pain.

Can x-ray differentiate rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis?
Query: Hi doctor, I have been having joint pain in my left foot on the first joint of big toe for two weeks. It came on upon waking. The pain was inconvenient, but bearable for the first 36 hours. Then, it was extremely painful on the second day ( a worse pain I have ever had). Then, it has got slightly be...  Read Full >>
Dr. Divya Agarwal
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is a strong possibility that this is gout. Considering that it occurred relatively acute, it is possible that it is gout. The diagnosis of gout is by crystal examination in joint fluid and on clinical examination of joints. Of course, osteoarthritis is one of the le...  Read Full

What is the treatment for rheumatoid arthritis?
Query: Hello doctor, I am diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I have swelling on ankles, elbows and some fingers along with deformity in right wrist. Currently, I am taking ayurvedic medication. I need consultation.  Read Full >>
Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, have completed your family, and do not want to conceive further, then start DMARDS (disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs), Methotrexate 15 mg once a week and Hydroxychloroquine 200 mg morning and evening if you have ac...  Read Full

How can I prevent tightening of calf muscles?
Query: Hello doctor, I feel like my calf muscles are gonna pull and I want to prevent it. It does not hurt, but I can feel the tightness. What should I do to stop this? I am scared.  Read Full >>
Dr. Manel Silva

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This sounds like calf tightness, but it may be a few other things that are more concerning. If the tightness is only in one calf, you need to get follow up, especially if you are on birth control or have another risk for blood clots. Depending on your age, you may be at...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now