Q. Having pain in ankle and wrist occasionally. Is this arthritis?

Published on Sep 03, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 04, 2018

I get pain in my joints like ankle and wrist occasionally. It goes off when I take Mobizox but comes after a few days again. Also, it goes off when I do massage or when I use compression glove. My uric acid is 10 mg/dL, and it is in a higher range. Does this pain occur due to increased uric acid or it is some kind of arthritis like rheumatoid?

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

You have arthralgia, and it is not arthritis. This condition will have pain along with swelling. It is unlikely to occur due to uric acid. You need to do a few tests which include RF (rheumatoid factor), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP (C-reactive protein), anti-CCP (anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide), vitamin D levels and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone). There is a possibility of early inflammatory arthritis which can be confirmed by the tests mentioned above.

There is no swelling on the site of pain. But I will get the tests done.

#

Yes, there is no active arthritis. So these tests are mandatory to find out the cause of the problem.

My full body feels numb when I wake up. What could be wrong?

Query: Hello doctor, I have chronic paresthesia. My full body feels like dead in sleep. When I wake up and reposition myself, it will take time for the blood to start flowing from my leg to upper body. I can feel it flowing and entering my kidneys, liver, etc. I had this issue for a long time but it was n...  Read Full >>

Dr. Aida Quka

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read carefully through your question and would explain that your symptoms could be related to a sleep disorder or thyroid gland dysfunction. A connective tissue disorder (arthritis) cannot be excluded either. For this reason, I recommend performing a polysomnogra...  Read Full

What can cause sudden ankle swelling and pain?

Query: Hello doctor, Patient's left leg is swollen at ankle with severe pain at the joint for the past 10 days. He is unable to walk regularly as before. He has taken antibiotic and still the pain remains the same. Patient has done x-ray and blood test and everything seems to be fine.¬†There is no accident...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I guess you are talking about your father here in this query. Acute or sudden onset of ankle pain in a 61 year old male, who was previously healthy, can be due to many reasons such as: Cellulitis. Ankle sprain. Tendinitis. Synovitis of the ankle joint. Retrocalcaneal burs...  Read Full

From my MRI report, please explain the reason for ankle pain.

Query: Hi doctor, I am suffering from left ankle pain. I have soreness and it is bruised. Sometimes, it is difficult to walk too. I am also suffering from lower back pain. I feel the pain from my ankle joint to my hip. I have a history of ankle pain, but it was on the right. Before two years, I had an arth...  Read Full >>

Dr. Sumit Chawla

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your MRI (attachment removed to protect patient identity), there are arthritic changes seen in the joint between two small bones of the foot, that is, talus and navicular as well as in the posterior part of the tibia. This is the cause for ankle pain and swelling an...  Read Full