Q. Having pain in ankle and wrist occasionally. Is this arthritis?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 03, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 04, 2018

I get pain in my joints like ankle and wrist occasionally. It goes off when I take Mobizox but comes after a few days again. Also, it goes off when I do massage or when I use compression glove. My uric acid is 10 mg/dL, and it is in a higher range. Does this pain occur due to increased uric acid or it is some kind of arthritis like rheumatoid?

General Medicine Internal Medicine Rheumatology
#

You have arthralgia, and it is not arthritis. This condition will have pain along with swelling. It is unlikely to occur due to uric acid. You need to do a few tests which include RF (rheumatoid factor), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP (C-reactive protein), anti-CCP (anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide), vitamin D levels and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone). There is a possibility of early inflammatory arthritis which can be confirmed by the tests mentioned above.

| 

There is no swelling on the site of pain. But I will get the tests done.

#

Yes, there is no active arthritis. So these tests are mandatory to find out the cause of the problem.

|