Q. Is it necessary to have crutches for ankle pain after an injury?

Dr. Santosh Kumar Bashyal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jul 10, 2020

My ankle started hurting last week, and it has gotten worse, it is very painful and uncomfortable to walk. My question is, do I need crutches? I am a girl.

#

Looking into your problem it seems you are badly in pain and looking for things can help you walk so you remember about crutches. As simple protocols use simple formula RICE rest, ice compression and elevation of your feet are key sutra.

For severe sprains, you might need a brace for protection and stability its good to use ankle brace having binder together in it. You may need crutches until you can walk without pain. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can help to control pain and swelling. We need to evaluate ankle with Grade II or Grade III sprains.

Grade III sprains with complete tears of the ligaments even might need surgery to repair the injured ligaments. One thing to remember is that always in most cases, follow-up rehabilitative exercises are to restore strength and range of motion in the sprained ankle-also help to prevent future ankle injuries. If it is not healed ,think of doing X-ray of ankle, you might not know sometime there can be hairline fracture too (stress fracture).

|