Q. I had ankle ligament tear a year ago. Why has not it healed yet?

Dr. Akshay Kumar Saxena
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Mar 08, 2021

I have a question to ask. I had a partial ligament tear in my ankle last year. It has been a year since the incident, but it seems like I have not fully recovered. I still feel a slight pain in my ankle after I do exercises or recreations. But according to one of the doctors, I supposed to improve already. What is the real case of my situation? Is there any particular exercise or supplement that I need to consider to improve? Thank you.

#

• The management for a partial ligament tear is institution of early physical therapy, ankle brace if required, anti-inflammatory medications for pain relief, etc.
  • Now, one year is more than adequate time for to heal unless there has been a repeat injury to the ankle.
  • Can you send a clinical picture to know whether the inner or the outer ligaments are involved? Is there any associated swelling in the affected region?
  • Lastly, the only way to look for the integrity of your ligaments is to get either stress x-rays or an MRI of the affected region.
  • Also, your physical therapy and exercises, which are to be done depend upon the ligament involved.
  • As far as a supplement goes, it may not be of any significant benefit in the healing process.
  • Kindly send me your details so that I can have a look and let you know what needs to be done. Take care.

Revert with the answers and reports to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|