Q. I have ankle pain without swelling and injury. What is the cause?

Dr. Vivek Chail
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I have lateral ankle pain without swelling and any history of injury. The X-ray reads negative except for the odd lesion present on the shin bone. The pain started four weeks back as mild progressive to limping pain.

#

Thanks for writing to us. I hope that the patient is not having much pain. The x-ray attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows that the ankle bones are in a growth phase, and the ossification centers of the lower ends of the tibia and fibula are not fused. There is an odd lesion in the shaft of the tibia. The X-ray shows only bones and some of the soft tissues. The muscles, ligaments, and early stages of bone conditions are not always visualized on the x-ray. In view of the above findings, it will help to do an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scan of the left ankle for detailed evaluation. Regards and thanks.

My question is related to the lesion. What could that possibly be?

#

Thanks for writing back to us. There is a lucent lesion showing peripheral sclerotic margins in the tibia shaft, which might suggest a benign lesion. Likely, differentials could be eosinophilic granuloma, simple bone cyst, and non-ossifying fibroma. However, a follow-up x-ray in a few weeks to months is suggested. Regards and thanks.

|