Q. What is the treatment for rheumatoid arthritis?

I am diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I have swelling on ankles, elbows and some fingers along with deformity in right wrist. Currently, I am taking ayurvedic medication. I need consultation.

#

If you are diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, have completed your family, and do not want to conceive further, then start DMARDS (disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs), Methotrexate 15 mg once a week and Hydroxychloroquine 200 mg morning and evening if you have active arthritis. Start low dose of Methylprednisolone (Sterio 4 mg) once daily and Pantop 40 mg before breakfast. If you want to have kids, then instead of Methotrexate take SAAZ (Sulfasalazine) 500 mg morning and evening. Also, mention your C-reactive protein and ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate)

For more information consult a rheumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/rheumatologist

Is Prednisone a safe alternative to DMARDS?

#

Prednisone is not DMARD. It is a steroid. It does not prevent joint deformity. Only Methotrexate does.

| 

The biopsy of my skin rash showed interface dermatitis with mucin. Do I have lupus?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 43 year old female, and I have had itchy, red, and burning rashes. It all started as a few bumps on my right arm, above my eyebrow, right upper nose area, all over the jaw and chin area, right chest and upper back react badly to the sun, and it is getting worse. I have had a l...  Read Full »

Why is my body paining?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 42 year old male. Two months back, one fine day, when I woke up I had acute pain in my whole body. I was unable to stand up, walk or pull anything. I had pain in and around the knees, elbow and wrist. I consulted a general physician and got uric acid test done. My uric acid was 8....  Read Full »

How do I manage my rheumatoid arthritis until I wait for my specialist?

Query: Hello doctor, My primary care physician said that I may have RA. My ESR rate was 27, my CRP was 14.1 and my CCP antibody IgG was 500. What does this mean? I have heard a high CCP result could indicate more aggression in my RA, if that is what I have.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask a Rheumatologist Now