Q. My wife feels pain in and around the ankles after waking up in the morning. Why?

Dr. Nupoor Acharya
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 23, 2021

My wife has pain in and around the ankle on both feet after waking up in the morning. She gets some relief after having a walk for few steps within half an hour. She has a small lump-like swelling on the anterior side of the ankle. It got started before a year back with mild symptoms. But at present, it becomes worse day by day. If she sits for a long time, the pain recurs several times. Please suggest.

#

Your wife has symptoms of inflammatory arthritis. Ankle arthritis is seen in different conditions like rheumatoid arthritis, spondyloarthropathy, sarcoidosis, and poncet's disease. Please mention whether she has other symptoms such as pain in small joints of hands, backache, hip pain, fever, weight loss, and cough. A thorough history helps us to have a definitive diagnosis. She needs to do some investigations such as chest X-ray, X-ray of both feet, ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP (C-reactive protein), CBC (complete blood count), AST (aspartate transaminase), ALT (alanine transaminase), and KFT (kidney function tests). These are some basic investigations needed to be done. She needs to do some specific tests to confirm the diagnosis. For symptomatic relief, she can take tablet Naproxen 500 mg or Etoshine 60 mg (Etoricoxib).

Your wife needs to do CBC (complete blood count), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), CRP (C-reactive protein), KFT (kidney function test), AST (aspartate transaminase), ALT (alanine transaminase), chest X-ray, X-ray of both feet in anteroposterior view and lateral view and X-ray of pelvis.

Your wife can have spondyloarthropathy, rheumatoid arthritis, and sarcoidosis.

She can take tablet Naproxen 500 mg two times a day.

|