Q. I have ankle sprain followed by swelling and tingling in toes. What could it be?

Dr. Lokesh

I sprang my ankle four days ago and went to the ER and they did an x-ray and of course, they could only tell me if there were any major fractures or breaks because of the swelling. Now the swelling has gone down a lot but just a little remain. Hardly there is any bruising, but it is still sore, and when I run the top of my foot (when I take the walking boot off to shower) my two middle toes tingle. I am supposed to go back in a week for a checkup. Could there be something else wrong with my ankle that would cause the tingling and still a little bit of swelling too?

Dr. Lokesh

Orthopedics And Traumatology Spine Health Spine Surgery
#

Yes, you should go to the clinic and see an orthopedic surgeon because after the swelling and pain reduces they can evaluate you better to find a cause. That is if there is any major ligament injury or no, or if it has sprained.

The tingling can be due to small nerves getting pinched due to the swelling. So do not worry about that it will reduce. What you need is to wear an ankle stirrup brace, which is light and it will protect your ankle in the healing phase so that the sprained ligaments heal faster. Also, if you have sprained your ankle so many times then you need to do is to strengthen the muscles of your leg, i.e. extensors and flexors of the leg so that it does not happen again. Once you strengthen these muscles it will protect your ankle joint.

Also, use an elastocrepe bandage of six inches width from the toes to just below the knee to reduce the swelling.

Follow up sos.

| 

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

I have pain in foot after ankle injury making it difficult to run. What is the reason?

Query: Hello doctor, I injured my ankle three weeks ago and there is a pain somewhere behind the foot. I am able to walk and jog slowly but not able to run. So what might be the reason behind this pain and what should I do to start running again?  Read Full »

How long will it take to recover from ACL injury?

Query: Hello doctor, I had ACL injury. What will be the time for recovery like normal walking and bike riding? I would like to know after how many days I will be able to do normal walking and bike riding.  Read Full »

I had a leg injury six months back. When will it heal?

Query: Hi doctor, I got a leg injury, six months back. On x-ray examination, they did not find any fracture. But there is difficulty in movement, and the doctor said that the anterior tibiofibular ligament is damaged. I used NSAIDs for a short period to avoid inflammation. I am also wearing crepe bandage...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now