Q. I have ankle sprain followed by swelling and tingling in toes. What could it be?

Dr. Lokesh

I sprang my ankle four days ago and went to the ER and they did an x-ray and of course, they could only tell me if there were any major fractures or breaks because of the swelling. Now the swelling has gone down a lot but just a little remain. Hardly there is any bruising, but it is still sore, and when I run the top of my foot (when I take the walking boot off to shower) my two middle toes tingle. I am supposed to go back in a week for a checkup. Could there be something else wrong with my ankle that would cause the tingling and still a little bit of swelling too?

#

Yes, you should go to the clinic and see an orthopedic surgeon because after the swelling and pain reduces they can evaluate you better to find a cause. That is if there is any major ligament injury or no, or if it has sprained.

The tingling can be due to small nerves getting pinched due to the swelling. So do not worry about that it will reduce. What you need is to wear an ankle stirrup brace, which is light and it will protect your ankle in the healing phase so that the sprained ligaments heal faster. Also, if you have sprained your ankle so many times then you need to do is to strengthen the muscles of your leg, i.e. extensors and flexors of the leg so that it does not happen again. Once you strengthen these muscles it will protect your ankle joint.

Also, use an elastocrepe bandage of six inches width from the toes to just below the knee to reduce the swelling.

Follow up sos.

|