Q. How to stay out of binge eating?

Dr. Anil Kumar Kumawat
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha

I am a 17 year old female struggling hard with bulimia and binge eating. My mom is anorexic, and so is my grandmother. I suffered from low weight until I started binging which has been going on for almost a year. I purge sometimes, and I am terrified of how much weight I continue to put on, yet I still regularly binge. I try everything to stop. I try new methods all the time and constantly research, but I keep hearing the same things. I lie to my parents a lot, and we both feel helpless. I guess I do not know what I am expecting because I am already on CBT treatment (which I do not think to help me), Prozac and Wellbutrin, but I need reassurance and some help with these extreme and constant binges.

#

According to your height, your weight is average. In bulimia, CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) is helpful. If Prozac (Fluoxetine) is not working, then you have to increase the dose of Prozac or shift to another medicine.

It is a learning process so that you have to change this to a better one. Continuous thought of purge will come to mind, but you have to stop the though by not reacting to that. Have patience because learning is a prolonged process and as age grows it is challenging to change the previous learning method. You can respond in another way rather than purging. I hope you understand.

|