Q. How to stay out of binge eating?

Dr. Anil Kumar Kumawat
and medically reviewed by Dr. Hemalatha
Published on May 11, 2019

I am a 17 year old female struggling hard with bulimia and binge eating. My mom is anorexic, and so is my grandmother. I suffered from low weight until I started binging which has been going on for almost a year. I purge sometimes, and I am terrified of how much weight I continue to put on, yet I still regularly binge. I try everything to stop. I try new methods all the time and constantly research, but I keep hearing the same things. I lie to my parents a lot, and we both feel helpless. I guess I do not know what I am expecting because I am already on CBT treatment (which I do not think to help me), Prozac and Wellbutrin, but I need reassurance and some help with these extreme and constant binges.

#

According to your height, your weight is average. In bulimia, CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) is helpful. If Prozac (Fluoxetine) is not working, then you have to increase the dose of Prozac or shift to another medicine.

It is a learning process so that you have to change this to a better one. Continuous thought of purge will come to mind, but you have to stop the though by not reacting to that. Have patience because learning is a prolonged process and as age grows it is challenging to change the previous learning method. You can respond in another way rather than purging. I hope you understand.

| 

Food keeps getting stuck in my throat. Why?

Query: Hello doctor, For over four years, I have had problems swallowing my food. I get the sensation that the food is stuck in my throat.Usually, it clears when I drink water and it pushes the food. Without water, I feel like I am choking up to maybe half hour with intense pain in my throat and upper...  Read Full »

Kindly advise a home remedy for tooth decay during pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I have acid erosion or decay in the back of my bottom front teeth. They are chipping at the gumline. I have a past history of bulimia and although after years I have finally recovered. Long ago, I have had decay in the back row. What is a good home remedy for now that I can use? I am ...  Read Full »

Borderline Personality Disorder

Article Overview: Persons with borderline personality disorder are very dramatic, impulsive, and emotionally unstable. They stand on the border between neurosis and psychosis. Read Article

Dr. Ravi M Soni

Borderline personality disorder is a mental illness where the person has difficulty handling their emotions appropriate to social standards. Even minor situations can trigger major reactions. They have unstable mood, behavior, object relations, and self-image. They stand on the border between neuros...  Read Article