Q. Can I completely get rid of HBV in six months?

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi
Published on Jun 08, 2019

I am 28 years old. I had my blood test done last month. HBV was negative. When tested again 53 days later, it came out to be positive. Do I have acute or chronic? Are all HBV acute for the first six months? What are the chances that I will completely get rid of it within six months?

Dr. Srinivas Morampudi

Internal Medicine
#

If your HBsAg was positive on the second occasion, but negative 53 days before that, you have acute Hepatitis B infection. Most of the time, HBsAg is discovered incidentally. It is not common for Hepatitis B to be diagnosed in the acute phase. More than 90 % of patients with acute hepatitis B recover completely and do not progress to chronic hepatitis B. Less than 10 % develop chronic Hepatitis B. I suggest you consult a medical gastroenterologist or hepatologist or an infectious diseases specialist.

| 

How does the hepatitis B virus spread?

Query: Hello doctor, I want to know about Hepatitis B virus. I have been affected by this disease. Is it a contagious disease? Can others use the things which I use? Can others drink water with my used glass? How does this virus spread? In people who have already taken hepatitis B virus vaccine, is there...  Read Full »

Which type of hepatitis B infection do I have?

Query: Hi doctor, I recently went for a checkup for hepatitis B. I did this because I had unprotected sex with someone about three months back. I never had any test before. The results came up positive. I have done further tests to see if the infection is chronic or acute.  Read Full »

I am an HBsAg carrier. Is there any treatment for it?

Query: Hello doctor, I am an HBsAg carrier, and I want to travel abroad for a job. I came to know about my status during a medical checkup, and after that, I got my complete blood test done. I am scared after reading about it on the internet. I have attached my test reports for your better understanding. ...  Read Full »