Q. I am having diarrhea after a single dose of Azithromycin. What should I do now?

Dr. Prathish Kumar

I took a single dosage of Azithromycin tablet at around 9.30 AM this morning for my chlamydia infection, and about an hour later, I had diarrhea. Will I need to retake the antibiotic? Will my diarrhea stop after the effectiveness of the antibiotic fade?

Thanks.

#

I went through your symptoms. Do not worry, as your diarrhea is the common side effect of Azithromycin. It will settle down once you stop Azithromycin tablet. I suggest you take probiotics twice daily for three days.

If diarrhea is persistent or severe, stop Azithromycin and ask your doctor for an alternative antibiotic for chlamydia treatment.

Thanks.

Antiobiotic induced diarrhea.

Thanks for the reply.

Will the antibiotic still be effective even after diarrhea?

Thanks.

#

Yes, the antibiotic will do its work even though it has caused its side effect. If your chlamydial infection is not settling, it does not mean it is because of your diarrhea. It means that your chlamydia variant is resistant and does not respond to Azithromycin. In that case, you need to choose another course of safe alternative antibiotics for chlamydia.

Take care.

|