Antidepressant Discontinuation Syndrome

How to manage antidepressant discontinuation syndrome?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 21 year old female with a history of the major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder, including an extensive family history of both as well. Currently, on 300 mg of Bupropion (Wellbutrin) and 150 mg of Venlafaxine (Effexor), each once daily, taken in the mornings. I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Aditya Gupta

Psychiatrist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Antidepressant discontinuation is unlikely here as there had been no change in drug dosage recently unless you had missed a dose. These brain zaps could be due to stress or the medication itself and usually stops on their own after some time. In my opinion practising r...  Read Full »

Can skipping Lexapro tablets cause suicidal thoughts?

Query: Hello doctor, I have taken antidepressants, in particular, Lexapro 20/10 mg for about five years for Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Unfortunately, I had stopped taking the anti-depressants cold turkey for about a month and a half due to negligence on my part. During the month and a half, I only expe...  Read Full »

Dr. Aditya Gupta

Psychiatrist, Sexologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.  It is unlikely for Lexapro (Escitalopram) to cause this symptom, especially when you have been taking it for the last five years. Though there are a few reports of emergent suicidal thoughts as a part of SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) discontinuation ...  Read Full »

I want to go off antidepressants but have trouble sleeping. What can I do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 22 years old. I have been on the following antidepressants for two years. Morning: Modapex 50 one pill, Depakene, Lamotrigine 25 mg one pill. Night: Clozapex 25 mg half a pill, Mirtimash 30 g half a pill, Depakine Chrono 500 mg one pill, and Anafranil 75 mg half a pill. I used t...  Read Full »

Dr. Vishal Anilkumar Gandhi

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Because of stopping the medication you have a problem with sleep. You should try some sleep medication for a short time and then taper it. I suggest tablet Diazepam 5 mg before sleep. It is Benzodiazepine group drug and long duration, but it is addictive. So, you mu...  Read Full »

Why is my son put on Paroxetine in spite of having bad withdrawals previously?

Query: Hello doctor, My 28 year old son is being treated for bipolar disorder and depression. He has been on and off antidepressants since he was 16 years old due to high anxiety issues. He just started with 50 mg Serquiler one to two tablets at night, 600 mg Gabapentin thrice a day, 20 mg Paxil once a day...  Read Full »

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Psychiatrist, Sexologist, Psychologist Counsellor

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Seroquel (Quetiapine) and Oxcarbazine (Oxcarbazepine) are indicated in bipolar disorder as both have mood stabilizing properties. Paxil (Paroxetine) and Gabapentine (Gabapentin) are used in anxiety or depression. As you mentioned that Paxil was used in the highest...  Read Full »

Can antidepressants cause emotional numbness?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 36 year old male. 17 years ago, I began experiencing high levels of anxiety and depression. I was put on Zoloft. After about five years, I was moved to Lexapro as Zoloft was not working. After being on Lexapro for five years, I was moved to Pristiq. After 5 years on Pristiq, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Answer: Hello, Welcome to iclinq.com. I have gone through your query and understand your concern. It is true that SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) make the person emotionally blunt when on a long term use. In your case, SSRI (Zoloft and Lexapro) and Pristiq (Desvenlafaxine) are ineffective ...  Read Full »