Q. Can skipping Lexapro tablets cause suicidal thoughts?

Dr. Aditya Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have taken antidepressants, in particular, Lexapro 20/10 mg for about five years for Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Unfortunately, I had stopped taking the anti-depressants cold turkey for about a month and a half due to negligence on my part. During the month and a half, I only experienced heightened anxiety or palpitations. When I realized on Thursday that I had not been taking the anti-depressants, I started taking them again. On Friday, I took my second dose of 10 mg because I have been weaning off the 20 mg for about six months now. Then, I had this scary thought of killing myself. Now mind you, I love my life and I do not ever want to kill myself.

With that said, I never experienced this disturbing thought before during my five years of taking Lexapro. I called my psychiatrist who told me that it is withdrawal and that my brain is deprived of the medicines. Now, I tend to disagree. My question is, do you think it is the Lexapro that is causing these disturbing thoughts? Meaning that, since I have re-administered the Lexapro 10 mg, can it cause new symptoms that I have never experienced before or is it like she says withdrawal? Mind you, during the withdrawals, I never had this suicidal thought before as well as not having it while on Lexapro for five years. And neither my psychologist nor my psychiatrist has ever diagnosed me with depression.

#

• It is unlikely for Lexapro (Escitalopram) to cause this symptom, especially when you have been taking it for the last five years. Though there are a few reports of emergent suicidal thoughts as a part of SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) discontinuation syndrome, it is rare. In my opinion, it is unlikely to be due to discontinuation syndrome because:
  1. Severe symptoms like suicidal ideation are rare in discontinuation syndrome.
  2. Discontinuation syndrome usually lasts for one or two weeks.
  • Well, if it is due to discontinuation, then it will go away within a week of restarting Lexapro. But if it is not, then kindly consult your treating psychiatrist in person.

Hope this solves your query. Feel free to ask if you have any further queries.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

Historical Aspects about Shock Therapy: Busting a Few Long Held Myths

Article Overview: Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) is a modality of treatment that is highly efficacious in treating complex neuropsychiatric disorders. Unfortunately, bad press and movies have brought the ECT into disrepute. The general public and the medical fraternity are largely ignorant about the procedure, and its manifold benefits. This article attempts to bust a few long held myths about the ECT. Read Article

Memory is considered to be the holy grail of neuroscience. Likewise, ECT - Electroconvulsive Therapy (formerly known as electroshock therapy) can be termed as the holy grail in the treatment of psychiatric disorders. Unfortunately, there are a number of myths about the dangers of ECT. These beliefs ...  Read Article

Can I take antidepressants only when needed and not continuously?

Query: Hello doctor, I have depression. But for some reason, I do not want to take antidepressants. I have been taking it for the past one year. And have stopped it. But sometimes I get very depressed. Can I take my antidepressant like Desvenlafaxine sometimes? As needed? Or maybe any other antidepressant ...  Read Full »

An Insight into Mental Health

Article Overview: There is an urgent need in many countries to increase the awareness regarding mental health. The most important task now is to make people understand the concept of mental health correctly and learn how to deal with it and get better. Read Article

Dr. Ashish Khandelwal

A 23-year-old boy, working at a private institution had gradually reduced his interactions with family and friends. He started becoming irregular at work. He used to lie down in his room during the day and not talk to anybody. One day, he was found hanging from his ceiling fan. There was a 20-year-...  Read Article

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»