Q. Do I need to continue Arpizol and Pacitane for schizophrenia?

This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 02, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia before 7 years. I used to take Sulpitac early in the treatment and then I was prescribed Nexipride for a year. For the last three years, I am taking Arpizol 10 mg and Pacitane 2 mg. My age is 30 now and I want to get out of schizophrenia as soon as possible. My parents are worried about my marriage. Every time when I ask my psychiatrist, he says keep taking Arpizol and Pacitane. I am tired of this. Is the treatment right?

Psychiatry Psychotherapy Sexology
#

I can understand your concern.

Schizophrenia is a chronic neuropsychiatric illness with changes in behavior, thought, perception and a lot of other psychiatric symptoms.

Sulpitac (Amisulpride), Nexipride (Levosulpiride) and Arpizol (Aripiprazole) are antipsychotic drugs and help to treat psychotic symptoms.

If you are symptom free with Arpizol for the last few years, then in my opinion you can consider reducing the dose of the drug.

There is no use of continuing Pacitane (Trihexyphenidyl) with Arpizol because the drug at this dose does not cause extrapyramidal symptoms.

Consult your specialist doctor and ask for re-evaluation and get your dose reduced.

For further information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

|