Q. Can taking antiretrovirals cause belly fat?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

I am HIV negative and have been taking Truvada and Tivicay now for exactly one month but have stopped. I am pretty regular at the gym and maintain a consistent weight of about 146 to 149. Over the past month, I have gained about 5 lbs. At times my stomach looks pregnant and it is always relatively flat. Most of the weight is belly fat. Is there some correlation with the Truvada or Tivicay regimen? Is it temporary or permanent?

Do you have a question on Antiretroviral or Post-exposure Prophylaxis?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

MBBS., DGO., PHD (HIV MEDICINE
HIV/AIDS Specialist

I wanted to ask you whether you had taken Truvada and Tivicay as post-exposure prophylaxis? Belly fat changes which you have developed is one of the side-effect of antiretrovirals which you had taken. The mechanism underlying is not known. As you are not taking medicines now, it is expected to improve.

Regular exercise and dietary changes will help you. Also, get your blood pressure, fasting blood sugar and lipid profile done.

ARV- Dolutegravir.

FBS, lipid profile.

ARV toxicity.

Continue ARV as prescribed.

Regular exercise, diet changes.

I did take the medicine for only a precautionary measure of post-exposure but I am HIV negative. So that part is fine. I did have an abdominal CT scan and everything is fine but my stomach is still big. Anything else I should do as my stomach has never been like this. Thank you very much.

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva

MBBS., DGO., PHD (HIV MEDICINE
HIV/AIDS Specialist

If you are not HIV infected, the one month exposure of drugs could not attribute to fat redistribution. If there is sudden body disfigurement, you need to go for general physical examination by a clinician for a decision for appropriate test. It may or may not be lipodystrophy alone​.

Is there a new medicine for 100 % cure of HIV?
Query: Hello doctor,My brother was detected as HIV positive. Is this disease completely curable or not? Is there is any new medicine for 100 % cure for this disease?  Read Full »
Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There is so effective a treatment available for HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) that it is no longer a dreadful disease. Antiretroviral treatment (ART) needs to be taken regularly with 100 % adherence. With regular ART, HIV will be completely suppressed and this ...  Read Full »

I had vaginal intercourse and condom broke. Am I at the risk of HIV?
Query: Hello doctor, Two weeks ago I had a scare. I had vaginal intercourse with a girl from the bar and the condom broke and I removed immediately. I asked her about her status and she stated clean. There was some blood on the bed from her after. I started PEP within 24 hours from the clinic, they gave m...  Read Full »
Dr. Sushma Shah
HIV AIDS Specialist

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) is good. A sore throat is very common at this time. You can go to ENT specialist. You can have tablet Zerodol SP (Aceclofenac, Serratiopeptidase, and Paracetamol) two times a day after food for three to five days, tablet TAXIM O (Cefixime)...  Read Full »

Please explain whether having sex will increase weight in women.
Query: Hi doctor, Does having sex increase estrogen hormone? Will it result in belly fat and sagging breast in women? Is it true or a myth? Please explain.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. All these are false beliefs and let me explain it to you. Whether you have sex or not any lady who puts on weight will have sagging of breast, belly fat, and increase of hormone estrogen. When you have sex, only testosterone hormone is increased in females, which gi...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now